Summary of Duties
Prepare food in accordance with posted menus and from standard recipes for residents and guests of the Community in accordance with current, applicable federal, state and local standards, guidelines, and regulations; as well as with established Organizational policies, procedures, guidelines, and direction to ensure quality food service.
Essential Job Functions
- Review menus prior to preparation of food.
- Prepare meals in accordance with planned menus.
- Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
- Prepare food for therapeutic diets in accordance with planned menus.
- Prepare food in accordance with standardized recipes and special diet orders.
- Prepare and serve bedtime snacks as requested.
- Use proper technique to taste prepared food to ensure quality prior to service, and take corrective action if needed.
- Maintain proper temperature of food during preparation and service.
- Record food temperature prior to meal service, and take correction action if needed.
- Assist in inventory and storage of food and supplies. Date stock and rotate to ensure First In, First Out (FIFO) principle is followed. Notify the supervisor if the supply is inadequate.
- Assist in establishing food service production line, etc., to assure that meals are prepared in a timely manner.
- Assist in processing diet changes and new orders as received to ensure all residents receive a meal as ordered.
- Inspect meal trays to assure that the correct diet is served to each resident.
- Follow established procedures to clean equipment and work area as needed and per policy using approved cleaning agents.
- Ensure dietary staff tasks are completed as assigned in the absence of the supervisor. Report concerns to the supervisor.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent preferred. A minimum of six (6) months as a cook with dietary experience in a hospital, skilled nursing care facility, other related medical facility, school cafeteria, or full-line cafeteria preferred. Any combination of dietary experience and training which provides for skills, knowledge and abilities is required. Must complete Serve Safe Program. Physical Requirements for Essential Job Functions
- Must be able to move about consistently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to reach, bend, and/or stoop intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to push, pull, move, and/or carry up to 50 pounds utilizing proper body mechanics and assistance.
- Must be able to push, pull, or move a minimum of 100 pounds utilizing proper body mechanics and assistance.
- Must be able to see and hear or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to ensure that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must be able to walk/stand 75% of the day.