Utility Systems Coordinator
This position will be part of a project with the objective of operating and maintaining the North Slope Borough s (NSB) water and sewer utility systems in all seven villages in the Borough.
The USC will be responsible for providing local logistical support and reporting required for the NSB Water/Sewer Operations, Maintenance and Training project ensuring consistency with company strategy, commitments, and goals. The USC reports to the Water/Sewer Operations Support Manager. This position is required to be reside in Utqiaġvik, Alaska.
- The Utility Systems Coordinator will be responsible for keeping the Utqiaġvik-based project team and NSB Water/Sewer Division personnel informed on the status of utility operations in all seven villages.
- This will include daily communication with operators in all villages, timely completion of daily written reports to the Project Manager and Water/Sewer Division, initiation, tracking, and closeout of incident reports or work orders.
- The incumbent will be required to track down operational information as requested by the Project Manager, hold two-way dialogues with the utility operators to effectively understand and communicate system problems, and immediately notify the Project Manager of emergency issues.
- Provide logistical support for routine sampling, traveling personnel, and repair/replacement parts.
- Maintain an organized electronic file of all daily reports, and a hard copy and digital files of all incident reports and work orders.
- Respond to all received incident reports by confirming receipt, recommending a response action, and forwarding to other maintenance, management, and engineering personnel as appropriate.
- Update monthly reports and supporting information.
- Provide weekly reporting recapping prior week's highlights.
- Manage a central parts connex with an inventory, and ship parts to all villages.
- Track and follow up with NSB purchase requests involving operations and capital funds including UIC direct purchases all from the submission of the request to onsite delivery and vendor payment.
- Attend client meetings as needed to report on utility status.
- Maintain a successful working relationship with NSB water/sewer division personnel.
- Track and follow up with NSB on W&S related service request repairs until complete.
- Maintain daily communication with utility personnel in all seven villages
- Develop and submit written daily reports, which are well organized, formatted, and up-to-date.
- Manage and update areawide new service applications.
- Understand and communicate details of utility problems to the Project Manager or Project Engineers Recognize priority incidents, and provide detailed status reports to the team to determine incident response.
- Will travel when requested or needed to any village on the North Slope to assist with village water/sewer operations.
Requirements Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, an understanding of the NSB utility system technical aspects, and a professional demeanor will be critical for success in this position.
- The maintenance of successful working relationships with NSB Water/Sewer Division personnel, UIC personnel.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to understand technical aspects of North Slope Borough utility systems
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to direct utility operators in completion of maintenance activities and emergency repairs
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with a wide diversity of personnel
- Must be able to perform responsibilities accurately, timely and with limited supervision
- Must hold at least two Level 1 Water/Sewer Operator Certificates with the State of Alaska.
- Minimum 5 years operating the North Slope Borough s unique arctic utility systems, including treatment plant operation, compliance reporting, and water/sewer service restoration work.
- Minimum 2 years working at/with the North Slope Borough Department of Public Works.
- Safety training such as confined space and first aid/CPR preferred
- Must be a current resident of Utqiaġvik.
- Must be available afterhours by phone in the case of emergencies.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A valid Alaska driver's license.
- Working Conditions and Physical Requirements Weather:
- Indoors - environmentally controlled; requires most or all work to be done inside. Noise level:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually that of a standard office atmosphere.
- Description of environment:
- Office building with standard office environment.
- Physical requirements: Employee is required to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift. Travel: Overnight travel required.
UIC and its Family of Companies is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Apply Online Send This Job to a Friend
© Ultimate Software