Cornerstone Building Brands is the largest manufacturer of exterior building products in North America. Our comprehensive portfolio spans the breadth of the residential and commercial markets, while our expansive footprint enables us to serve customers and communities across North America. Our relentless focus on excellence combined with our ongoing commitment to innovation and R&D has driven us to become the #1 manufacturer of windows, vinyl siding, insulated metal panels, metal roofing and wall systems, and metal accessories. We believe every building we create, and every part of that building, positively contributes to communities where people live, work and play.
The primary focus of the 6S Champion is to develop and support a culture of safety and continuous improvement. Working with all aspects of the facility to constantly strive to improve the safety culture and eliminate waste, improve customer satisfaction, and reduce cost via the use of Lean tools and continuous improvement methodologies. This position will focus on the value stream's performance improvements that yield zero accidents, defect free products, and on time delivery.
With the Plant Manager and Regional Safety Manager, formulates general safety policies and procedures to be followed by company or plant personnel in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Leads and participates in the Plant Safety Committee and 6S Committee.
- Consults with all departments on use of equipment, fire prevention and safety program.
- Inspects or tours facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventative measures where indicated.
- Participates in the investigation of accidents and injuries.
- Coordinates training programs which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness. Maintains files and records on training.
- Responsible for providing training, coaching and leadership to all personnel on the use and practice of Lean principles and waste reduction tools: 6S, Kaizen, Visual Factory, Value Stream Mapping, and Standardized Work.
- Provide support management in the development of a problem solving / waste reduction culture at all levels of the plant organization.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the 6S program for optimal workplace organization
- Work with all departments to analyze established designs to optimize efficient use of materials, space, machines and people.
- Identify opportunities, coordinate, and execute continuous improvement events in conjunction with value streams to eliminate waste and add value.
- Actively participate in and/or lead process improvement (Kaizen) teams to get cross-functional ideas and support process improvements.
- Deliver relevant training / presentations to facilitate and sustain improvement activities.
- Constantly seeks, shares, and implements best practices.
- Offers support to the 6S Committee.
- Responsible for maintaining a 6S Audit log including the creation of audit assignments and tracking of 6S scores.
- Manages 6S training materials, including format checklists, audit forms and visual controls.
- Notify and work with site management team to resolve 6S / Lean roadblocks.
- Maintain daily interaction with facility leadership.
- Maintain daily contact with shop floor and office personnel.
- Technical Capacity.
- Organizational Skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Related safety certifications.
- Five years of safety experience.
Environmental Impacts of this Position:
The 6S Champion has a responsibility of avoiding environmental impacts such as; the release of: oils, grease from forklifts and cranes, solvents, paints and various other chemicals by accidental puncture, while performing your daily duties. You also have the responsibility to recycle all recyclable materials such as: paper, cardboard, ink cartridges etc. Caution must to be taken to avoid spills and good housekeeping practices are essential as a preventative measure. If a spill occurs, NCI (Spill Response, Log and Report Procedure) must be followed.
Ability to read and comprehend documents including: safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and simple correspondence. Also, the ability to, communicate information (in small group situations) to other employees.
Ability to, calculate figures and amounts such as fractions and percentages.
Ability to, apply common sense understanding to perform work instructions that are furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Also, the ability to, solve problems that involve multiple variables in a standard situation.
Other Skills & Abilities:
Incumbent is required to drive a forklift and use power tools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; bend; stoop; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance. The employee will be required to be capable of lifting a minimum weight of 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate.
Before initiating work at NCI, the employee is required to read and understand the position's Job Safety Analysis. Employee must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment and perform tasks in a manner consistent with NCI safety training, the NCI Employee Manual and OSHA regulations.
Cornerstone Building Brands is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, religion, color, disability, sex, sexual orientation or national origin.
- Job Family EHS
- Pay Type Hourly
- Chandler, AZ, USA