Program Assistant for Adult Degree Completion/Outreach Coordinator, School of Education, Bakersfield
The Point Loma Nazarene University community is, and intends to be, a decidedly Christian community, as exhibited by our shared beliefs, corporate practices, and Christlike character.
Under the direction of the Regional Center Director, the SOE Program Assistant for Adult Degree Completion/Outreach Coordinator will provide support for faculty in advisement activities.
This position is located in Bakersfield
- Communicate academic requirements, course progression of SOE degree/credential programs, graduation requirements and other program specific information to SOE candidates at new student onboarding/orientation presentations
- Support candidate's faculty advisor in all areas of advising, including course registration clearance, candidate's course progression, and regular review of candidate's academic plan
- Coordinate communications to candidates regarding such things as registration information, program progression requirements, institutional policies and procedures
- Monitor student registration activities
- In collaboration with the candidate's faculty advisor recommend solutions to academic difficulties
- In collaboration with the Program Director/Lead, participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the academic advisement of the ISEE program's goals and objectives
- Notify candidate's faculty advisor of any academic probation or non-enrollment situations
- Participate in student retention processes and activities
- Liaise and foster intentional relationships with other institutional departments
- Maintain accurate records (including electronic records) of interactions with students
- Serve as a resource referral to specialized staff such as student financial Services, writing support, student success, career services, etc.
- Stay abreast of changing institutional and accreditation information including admissions requirements, new programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in college-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates
- Engage in professional development activities, including but not limited to, memberships in professional organizations; attendance at conferences, workshops, division, and department training sessions; stay current with information technology skills
- Promote the PLNU SOE in the organization of, attendance at, or participation in special events and promotions for marketing SOE degrees and credentials.
- Seek to build deep partnerships with key school districts to discuss their human capital and instructional needs by meeting with key school personnel on a regular basis.
- Serve as the ambassador for PLNU School of Education's emerging programs and work closely with the Education Alumni Association in the marketing of these programs.
- Represent the SOE in various settings, including internal collaboration with university offices as well as external partners, such as districts, community-based agencies, state and professional associations which will enhance the programs and services of the SOE.
- Identify and assess existing programs and services for the PLNU SOE including school-based opportunities as well as partnerships across the university and with community agencies.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the growing array of programs and services available to alumni and local educational professionals, including a budget and calendar of events.
- Work with the Dean, key university offices, and program directors to develop a multi-faceted integrative communication strategy incorporating web-based technology and social media to provide alumni, current candidates, and K-12 partners with ongoing updates about university and community-based professional development, job search, and collaborative opportunities.
- Work with the programs directors to develop a strategy to implement programs that enhance faculty engagement in SOE-sponsored partnerships with school districts across Kern County.
- Research partnership development opportunities for the SOE and advise the Dean's Office on strategic priorities for candidate enrollment and placement.
- Create, coordinate, and implement partner recognition activities.
- Manage and promote BTSA unit availability for Master of Arts in Education, Leadership & Learning candidates
- Manage job and hiring inquiries from districts, schools and organizations, including coordinating job and interview fairs and communicating opportunities to students
- Manage the creation and submissions of Professional Studies and Continuing Education Units
- Under the direction of the Dean and Associate Dean, manage SOE social media, including Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Serve as a resource for faculty
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrates creative problem-solving skills that are solution focused
- Exercises important interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with candidates, faculty, and staff
- Maintains a well-organized and professional workspace
- Works with frequent interruptions and produces job assignments in an accurate and timely manner
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple projects and requests that accurately reflect the importance of job responsibilities, and work in a fast-paced environment
- Has strong writing and verbal communication skills, including active listening
- Understanding of and commitment to the spiritual mission of Point Loma Nazarene University.
Technical - Required
- Computer proficiency, including word processing, spreadsheets, and database management; especially with MS Office and Google G Suite
Technical - Preferred
- Proficiency in Taskstream
- Proficiency in Workday
- Bachelor's degree required
- Prior experience in higher education setting with a diverse student population, preferred
- Must be able to drive personal vehicle to work sites and events around Kern County. Valid driver's license and automobile insurance are required
- Vision to read documents, email and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor
- Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone
- Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs throughout the day
Benefits include health, dental, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, competitive retirement matching, vacation and sick time, and 15 paid holidays per year.
In addition, we have many opportunities to engage with our community including staff chapel, monthly lunches and a robust wellness program.
- Point Loma Nazarene University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide quality educational and employment opportunities, PLNU actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education.