The selectee for this position serves as a Supervisory General Engineer in the Public Works Department (PWD) at Camp Lemonnier of NAVAL FACILITIES ENG COMMAND ATLANTIC located in Djibouti, Africa.
This is a full-time, temporary assignment Not To Exceed (NTE) 1 year. This position is a 100% TDY position at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, Africa.
Above salary does not include locality. Locality adjustment will be determined by duty station location once a selection has been made.
Learn more about this agency
The successful selectee will perform the following duties:
- Formulates long-range plans and goals for the Production Division, Facilities Management Division, Facilities Engineer and Acquisition Division, Environmental Division, and Administrative Division.
- Directs supervisors to allocate manpower and other resources amongst subordinate branches to make optimal use of manpower, equipment, and facilities.
- Ensures employee position descriptions and performance standards are accurate, current, and consistent with policy in order to evaluate of employee performance.
- Develops annual budget within Navy Working Capital Fund and General Fund systems that includes projections of workload, manpower, overhead costs, and revenues.
76% or greater - This position is a 100% TDY position at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti, Africa.
- Job family (Series)
0801 General Engineering
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- Generally, current federal employees applying for GS jobs must serve at least one year at the next lower grade level. This requirement is called time-in-grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
Applicants must meet the following basic education requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position requires registration as a Professional Engineer or Architect. Applicants must meet the following positive education qualifications requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800/
In Addition, your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience is defined as experience that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled and has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities, to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following: 1) Technical Expert who oversees facility planning, design, acquisition, construction, maintenance, and demolition in the field of engineering; 2) Ensures funding, budgeting, and administration for the Public Works Department including General Fund and Navy Working Capital Funds are within compliance and regulation; 3) Responsible for fiscal planning including budget support for the Assistant Regional Engineer and the Business Line/Product Line Coordinators; 4) Provides leadership and direction for division directors, branch managers, junior officers, host national managers and second/third level supervision. NOTE: This information must be supported in your resume to be considered for the position.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and requires additional training, experience and possibly education. Applicants should meet the DAWIA Certification requirements for the Facilities Engineering Career Field and be certified at Level III at the time of application. If you possess DAWIA Certification, please indicate your Career Field and Certification Level information in your resume. Applicants not certified may still apply and be selected, but must achieve certification within 24 months of appointment. Certification requirements may be viewed at http://icatalog.dau.mil/
A Secret security clearance is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal. If you possess a security clearance, please indicate the level and termination date in your resume.
Positions that are supervisory/managerial require that first time supervisors/managers complete a one-year trial/probationary period if not previously completed in a competitive or other excepted service position.
Temporary actions taken under this announcement may be made permanent without further competition.
Physical Demands: The work is principally sedentary and requires observance of minor safety precautions to avoid risks typical of an office setting (such as carpal tunnel, repetitive stress injury, or eye strain). Job site visits require walking, crouching, and climbing.
Work Environment: The incumbent works in an adequately lighted ventilated office environment. Work involves occasional to frequent air travel on both civilian and military aircraft. Job site visits include exposure to risks associated with these types of work such as adverse weather, high noise, dust, confide spaces, work aloft. Typical construction hazards and area specific disease such as malaria. The use of personal protective equipment is required.