At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what's possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as seventh in the country – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
Genomics Services is comprised of three clinical genomics labs. Combined, the labs process over 10,000 patient samples annually.
Genomics testing relies on complex workflows, specialized DNA analysis instruments, customized laboratory information management systems and analysis pipelines. The clinical labs partner closely with UCSF Health Providers to deliver genomic test results that directly impact patient care.
Under general supervision of the Director of Genomics Administration, this position is responsible for providing administrative and technical expertise in the development, installation, and ongoing maintenance of information systems used in the Clinical Cancer Genomics Lab (CCGL).
Identifies and defines departmental and system requirements, problems and issues; evaluates and determines methods and means for resolution; implements changes; and advises end-users of solutions and any procedural modifications. Incumbent needs to be sensitive to cost effectiveness and user requirements as well as overall objectives of the department, UCSF and Medical Center IT. Interacts with faculty, staff, Medical Center IT personnel, external departments, outside vendors and consultants.
Supports office IT systems such as employee desktop and laptop systems and software applications such and Microsoft Office and email. Also, supports users interacting with specialized applications, such as the APeX EMR system, the CoPath pathology information management system, the Sapio Laboratory Information System, and the Genomocology genomic platforms. The support for these specialized systems would include aiding users in IT aspects of system setup, configuration, access, and data transfer.
The position involves the handling and storage of medical data and the incumbent is expected to have the maturity to maintain system and data security compliant with clinical HIPAA and UCSF standards and policies.
Responsible for working with clients at multiple UCSF campuses, Parnassus, Mt. Zion, Mission Bay, and, China Basin. Therefore, will need to travel between these sites.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science; or one year relevant experience in a technical setting, with information systems expertise including analytical and troubleshooting skills or a combination of education and experience
- Solid working knowledge of networking, including TCP/IP, SSH and SFTP, and client-server technologies
- General knowledge of several areas of IT
- Knowledge relating to the design and development of software; basic knowledge of secure software development.
- Knowledge of SQL programming language
- Knowledge of business processes and procedures; knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer security tools, best practices and policies; demonstrated skills applying security controls to computer software and hardware
- Demonstrated ability to install software and troubleshoot and repair moderately complex problems with computing devices, peripherals and software, including all current and past Windows desktop operating systems and MacOS; understanding of system performance monitoring and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance; basic knowledge of incident response procedures; demonstrated ability to follow software specifications
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team; demonstrates problem-solving skills; able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations
- Previous experience in healthcare environment
- Expertise in one or more of the following programming languages: PowerShell, Shell scripting (e.g., bash), VBA
- Expertise in one or more of the following DBMS: EPIC, Access, MSSQL
- Expertise in one or more of the following operating systems: UNIX/Linux, NT
- Demonstrated experience with database administration
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills
- Demonstrated understanding of how system management actions affect users and dependent / related functions
- Knowledge of data management systems, practices and standards
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner
Living Pride Standards
- Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center's values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
- Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
- Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
- Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
- Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
- Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
- Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
- Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Health locations is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.