The department of pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism (PKDM) within Amgen Research is dedicated to the discovery and development of novel, effective, and safe medicines. PKDM is currently seeking multiple Scientist level candidates. The successful candidate will work in a team environment to characterize the absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion and pharmacokinetic properties of therapeutic drug candidates to achieve their full pharmacological potential. PKDM works in close partnership with subject areas such as medicinal chemistry, protein sciences, pharmacology, toxicology, pharmaceutical sciences, clinical pharmacology and regulatory to craft promising clinical therapeutic candidates, conduct preclinical development studies, support clinical evaluation and contribute to IND and NDA filings.
The responsibilities of a PKDM Scientist are to develop and employ bioanalytical methods for the quantitative and qualitative analysis of small molecules, proteins, antibodies, and oligonucleotides in plasma, tissues, and other biological matrices. The role will require data interpretation and communication of results to project team representatives in support of drug discovery and development.
The ideal candidate will draw from any the following key technical skillsets:
- Strong background in the use of biophysical, biochemical, and cell-based analytical methods to interrogate molecular attributes, including drug-target interactions that potentially influence their plasma pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution. Cell culture and flow cytometry experience is also of benefit
- Ability to execute experiments to quantitate molecular entities by mass spectrometry in support of both drug discovery and early development programs. This role requires an excellent understanding of bioanalytical techniques. Ability to assist in troubleshooting when instrument or assay problems arise
- Possess expertise in quantitative pharmacology and strong hands-on modeling and simulation skills. Rich hands-on experience with NONMEM, R, Simcyp, GastroPlus, and/or other modeling and simulation software is required. Solid background in PK-PD modeling with an emphasis translation of models across species (animals to humans) is preferred.
Doctorate degree by December 2020
Master's degree and 4 years of Scientific experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of Scientific experience
- PhD or MS in chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology or equivalent.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and be able to excel in a highly collaborative, matrixed team environment. We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients — we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients — we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.