Joining the Stanley Black & Decker (SBD) team means joining one of the world's largest, fastest-growing, and most dynamic companies. SBD, a Fortune 200 company is a world-leading provider of tools and storage, commercial electronic security and engineered fastening systems, with unique growth platforms and a track record of sustained profitable growth. We have been globally recognized as one of the most innovative, sustainable, and rewarding companies in the world.
Stanley X is Stanley Black & Decker's newly created Innovation business dedicated to launching and growing exponentially scalable businesses to address customers' needs within our strategic markets. We are building a capability within Stanley Black & Decker to identify and seize on new sources of growth. We are a group of innovation & business-building professionals located in Silicon Valley and in Atlanta, GA. Stanley X is building a Construction Technology platform to bring new digital services, workflow tools, and data transparency to the construction industry. We are looking for a Product Manager to define and own the foundation of the platform and design the architecture to scale it globally.
Today's world of construction accounts for over 10% of the world's GDP, and it's no secret that worker productivity and building complexity are the biggest challenges. As a result, the industry is at an inflection point for disruption. Last year alone, nearly $2B in venture capital were invested across 2,000+ companies in construction technology. Stanley Black & Decker is partnering with contractors and startups to develop new digital products that will increase productivity and on time/on budget performance of construction projects.
We are looking for candidates who want to own, build and lead the way things get taken from conceptual design to how they are made. With the advent of additive manufacturing, computer vision and advances in distributed design platforms, we want SBD to play a central role in leveraging digital manufacturing to drive new sources of growth.
This role will be responsible to create and develop the DM strategy, identify the opportunities, and develop the product and got to market execution plans. These should be based on quantitative and qualitative analysis, deep customer insights, market and competitive research, investments and outside-in innovation scouting. This will include working with startups, universities, and other stakeholders in the innovation ecosystem to drive ideas from conception to execution, develop business models and marketing plans, define and analyze success metrics, manage strategic projects, and own the product end-to-end. The Head of DM will lead the team of internal disruptors while creating a new future for Stanley Black and Decker.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a process to systematically create (and update) the global landscape for the industry, and develop a viewpoint on where DM trends will intersect with our industry
- Perform market analyses to inform product ideation and innovation leading to commercialization
- Understand customer needs and pain-points to assess the value of innovative opportunities to differentiate Stanley
- Project ethnographic and socioeconomic factors to predict future trends, needs, investments and commercialization
- Analyze emerging industry and technology trends and their impact and applicability to Stanley
- Identify new market solutions, investment and product opportunities continuously driving growth
- Identify DM expansion opportunities including mergers and acquisitions to achieve the company goals
- Collaborate closely with the executive teams of all lines of business units globally to identify synergies; drive joint innovation and deliver outstanding products
- Manage the innovation funnel with quantitative and qualitative rigor
- Drive a model of lean, rapid cycle innovation through to launch
- Serve as the DM product and technology expert with customers and others both internally and externally including events to promote Stanley Black and Decker as a thought leader in the industry
- Evaluate the customer journey of opportunities and focus in one specific problem space
- Refine the problem and validate with outside research
- Define the MVP to be developed with design and work on quick iterations across wireframes and mockups
- Write product requirements for engineering and deliver the product roadmap
- Develop business models and how to take it to market--what is our competitive advantage, how do we best leverage it, and how do we protect it using either scale or IP
- Present to Executive Leadership the MVP and recommended path forward
- 12+ years of work experience, either in innovation, corporate strategy and/or technology product management
- Demonstrated experience in deep customer research
- Have worked on early product development up to launching in the market.
- High-value personal qualities, including resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, self-confidence, and high-energy.
- Strong business acumen and decision-making skills; ability to set key performance indicators, analyze raw data into meaningful and actionable insights
- You have some experience in some of the following: computer vision, additive manufacturing, digital modeling/3D modeling, BIM, 3D models, analytics.
- Top-notch analytical/negotiation skills
- Ability to toggle between strategic thinking and detail orientation
- Tenacious problem solving & issue resolution skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Agile project management experience
Why work with us
Solve massive problems for customers
We approach problems with a lean startup methodology, focused on in-depth user research and addressing the most critical problems first. We are a technology and innovation team that leads with voice of customer, value-based pricing and strong secondary research and competitive analysis.
Visibility to senior leadership
Our team reports directly into the CEO and operates autonomously within the company. This role will report to the head of the group and work closely across other teams.
Work with great companies
We work with some of the most innovative companies in construction technology, additive manufacturing and supply chain. Our partners range from Y Combinator startups to multi-billion-dollar unicorns. You'll have unparalleled access to their technologies and freedom to explore new and innovative ways of solving customer problems.
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status or any other protected characteristic.