QR Code Link to This Post
Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care is the leading home health and hospice provider in the Santa Barbara area, meeting the changing healthcare needs of our community since 1908.
Our mission is to provide high quality home health, hospice and related services to promote the health and well-being of all community residents including those unable to pay. As we grow and enhance our services, we are looking for top-quality individuals to help continue our legacy of excellence and our commitment to the community.
We are currently offering exciting opportunities to become a part of our committed team of skilled professionals in beautiful Santa Barbara County.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Responsible for performing all aspects of maintaining and protecting medical records.
Respects and promotes the mission, values, and vision of Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs all daily medical records functions, including sorting, filing, chart assembly, and chart audits, according to Agency policies and procedures.
2. Ensures medical records are maintained in compliance with state, federal, accreditation regulations and Agency policies and procedures.
3. Maintains comprehensive working knowledge of state, federal, and accreditation regulations.
4. Protects the confidentiality of patient and organization information through effective controls and direct supervision of medical records.
5. Fulfills authorized medical record requests by printing requested sections of the electronic medical record and retrieving hard copies of requested medical records.
6. Completes an administrative record audit following patient admission and discharge, ensuring all documents are complete.
7. Initiates, monitors and follows through on all document deficient paperwork and charts.
8. Submits orders, Narratives, Certificates of Terminal Illness and plans of care to physicians for signature.
9. Submits Face to Face document to Medical Director 30 days prior to recertification date and tracks compliance.
10. Monitors unsigned and incomplete physician documents, submits additional requests for incomplete documents to overdue physicians, and calls offices of physicians who are overdue, as necessary.
11. Researches lack of response from physician offices and enters corrected information, (i.e.: physician fax numbers) into Allscripts and other tracking tools.
12. Gives information and handles a variety of problems via the telephone in a courteous and helpful manner with a high degree of public relations.
13. Processes IDT meeting notes to send to physicians.
14. Processes discharge summaries to send to physicians.
15. Assembles packets for patient admissions.
16. Participates in monthly billing edits; performs tasks in cooperation with Finance.
17. Demonstrates activities to control expenses.
18. Is responsive to Agency needs, i.e. helps others as required and functions as an active member of the team.
19. Trains and oversees volunteers and other temporary workers to assist in performing Medical Records activities which are a part of this job description.
20. Is cross-trained to perform functions of other team members and assists in these functions as necessary.
21. Initiates and monitors All Docs and follow through on all documents paperwork, charts and computer auditing.
22. Answers general information calls regarding intake, non-emergency, and medical record request information.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. High School graduate or equivalent experience.
2. Excellent communication skills and public relations skills.
3. Word processing and PC skills with ability to work in Microsoft Excel and Word.
4. Information systems knowledge.
5. Previous clerical experience desired.
6. Knowledge of corporate business management, governmental regulations and
accreditation standards desired.
7. Demonstrates autonomy, organization, assertiveness, flexibility and cooperation in performing job responsibilities.