Essential Job Functions
- $25.29 Hourly/Depends on Qualifications*
Operates motor graders in the daily maintenance of County roads; occasionally operates rollers and water trucks. Maintains assigned road network according to County standards. Sets up construction work zones and performs flagging duties. As requested, may install fences, culverts and pipes.
- Operates motor graders in the daily maintenance and graveling operations of County roads in the assigned area of responsibility.
- Performs routine maintenance and minor repair on graders and equipment to include lubing and greasing as necessary.
- Operates equipment and vehicles on public roadways in compliance with laws and ordinances.
- Completes and maintains daily logs and pay cards regarding activities performed and materials used.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment at assigned yard.
- Responds to on-call after hours emergencies, including snow removal, flood recovery, tornado clean-up, fires or other natural disaster or safety need for the motoring public.
- Lifts and carries grader, bulldozer, and loader blades. Installs and removes snow plow and harnesses.
- Operates other types of road construction equipment and vehicles, including medium to heavy trucks such as water tankers, tandem dump trucks and patch trucks.
- Performs manual labor using various hand tools; operates and carries various pieces of equipment such as shovels, jackhammers and drills.
- Installs culverts and fences and digs trenches with assistance.
- Operates soil stabilization equipment, rollers, excavators, bulldozers, industrial tractors and mowers during the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent education required.
- Minimum three (3) years experience in the operation and maintenance of graders required.
- Must successfully pass the motor grader practical test and have the ability to operate a motor grader.
- Working knowledge of road and bridge construction, maintenance techniques and procedures required.
- Must observe and follow safety procedures and precautions.
- Ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with County staff and the general public.
- Ability to work with limited supervision in assigned area of responsibility.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions and interpret diagrams, blue prints and specifications.
- Knowledge of and the ability to interpret the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Must pass conditional post offer background investigation, motor vehicle record check, drug screen and physical examination.
- Must possess and maintain a Colorado Class A Commercial Driver's License. Tanker Endorsement must be obtained prior to employment.
- Ability to obtain a Colorado Flagger Certificate within 60 days of employment.
Work is performed outdoors and requires lifting, bending, and climbing, at times in hazardous situations such as operating construction vehicles in adverse weather. Works with potentially dangerous equipment and tools; may work with hazardous materials including fuels, paints, asphalts, herbicides and pesticides. Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 75 lbs. Subject to emergency off hours call-out. Subject to drug and alcohol testing.
This job announcement is not intended to be inclusive of all functions, responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position, however, representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the position.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.elpasoco.com
Each applicant is considered only for the current vacancy indicated on your application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor any future openings and to submit a separate application for each position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Any new employee and rehires must provide documentation of authorization to work as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (PL99-603).
EL PASO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER