The Product Designer is responsible for strategic IT product roadmaps, prioritization of work, research and design of software, creation, delivery and management of product roadmaps and IT programs, and management of resource allocations for the delivery team assigned. The Product Manager works in a matrix fashion leading the work of technical IT teams and may have direct reports that consists of 1 or more teams of 6-8 team members each. The Product Designer interfaces closely with business stakeholders including senior management members in order to understand and influence the business strategy and create a corresponding information technology strategy and roadmap. The Product Designer makes prioritization decisions among competing demands to best achieve business goals. This position is ultimately accountable for the successful delivery of projects, programs and efforts for the purpose of realizing the product roadmaps
- Understands, advocates and augments the principles of information technology strategies. Understands and influences business strategy to create and gain consensus on corresponding digital strategy. Thoroughly understands the IT environment to detect critical deficiencies in both strategy and capabilities, and recommends solutions for improvement. Analyzes technology industry and market trends and determines their impact on the enterprise. Formulates all of this data into a product roadmap for applications.
- Coach and develop a strong, cohesive team capable of learning new technologies and adapting to changing market and business needs.
- Lead delivery of the product roadmap through the team and influencing and working with others to obtain your team's objectives.
- Lead and participate in process improvement initiatives.
- Track and communicate status of delivery of the team to stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent is required.
- Five or more years of experience in at least one IT or Operational discipline in addition to product leadership, project/program management, and people leadership experience.
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments. Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies.
- Ability to translate business needs into product roadmaps.
- Interpersonal relationship skills sufficient to allow incumbent to effectively lead others, to facilitate consensus among those holding disparate opinions and to work effectively with individuals and groups made up of people representing a diversity of levels and degrees of sophistication.
- Demonstrated positive team player.
- Ability to organize, manage and monitor multiple initiatives to successful completion, adapting to shifting priorities in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills to prioritize complex tasks, projects, and workflow, and use independent judgment to make decisions regarding operations and deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to balance the long-term ("big picture") and short-term implications of individual decisions.
- Proven experience in leading, developing and mentoring others.
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes.
- Expert knowledge on the software development life cycle and concepts such as Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and Test Driven Development.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, Calif., and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX Genomic Medicine is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX Genomic Medicine's research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX Genomic Medicine sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
In Connecticut, JAX resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state's capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX Genomic Medicine is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients' lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 "Best Places to Work in Academia" in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite full service cafeteria.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX's mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers