Resp & Qualifications
PURPOSE: Working at both the project and horizontal category levels, the incumbent is responsible for working on research, development and implementation of more complex process engineering projects designed to advance the process capability of the IT organization. The incumbent is accountable for translating business needs and solutions designs from an Enterprise perspective. This individual provides leadership for data architectural design, problem solving and technology leadership on an enterprise level by ensuring project compliance at the Enterprise level as well as enterprise efforts such as profiling, metadata, quality, and master data management. The incumbent assists the Data Architecture Manager and other Enterprise Lead Data Architects with establishing the standards and architectural building blocks of the organization. The incumbent also ensures that the project data designs meet said business needs and adheres to stated directions and standards for the architectural building blocks. Maintains current technology inventory, assists in standards and component efforts and in the development of data and technical architectures. The incumbent is skilled in translating business strategy/drivers into IT requirements with a proven ability to solve complex problems or situations as a subject matter expert.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the IT Data Architecture Manager, the incumbent's duties and responsibilities include variations, but are not limited to the items below, depending upon the Business need.
- Leads teams and provides guidance to Enterprise Data Architects and Enterprise Sr. Data Architects. This includes review and approval of artifacts generated by said parties.
- Acting as the primary outward face with the Data Stewards and Governance bodies.
- Determination of Project Discovery approaches and estimations in the data realm
- Participation in the technical solution planning process
- Reviewing/providing input into project schedules as they evolve.
- Specification of Data Architectural requirements and guidelines as part of COTS project selections
- Reviewing and providing input into requirements traceability matrices
- Provide guidance and creation of enterprise data profiling reports for all CareFirst databases. These reports shall be used by project teams to determine the quality of data as well as assist in source to target mappings.
- Documentation of source and target systems from a Data Architecture category perspective.
- Review, interpretation, and translation of requirements and use cases.
- Documenting source and target systems.
- Establishing/enforcing the Enterprise information architecture and the data components of a Systems Development Lifecycle e.g. Entity relationship diagrams, Data flow diagrams, documenting external interfaces, Business Process and enterprise modeling/mapping artifacts to a data architecture framework; stratifying data for Data Management purposes.
- Provide guidance and supervision of implementing and maintaining a Data and Informatica's enterprise Meta Data strategy. This includes recommendations on a multiple phase release plan for different subject areas as well as potential future use of meta data and the toolsets across the enterprise data structures.
- Identification of data conversion and translation strategies - Define, maintain and enforce the use of standardized enterprise data element names, abbreviations, definitions, characteristics, and domains. (This includes elements/definitions used in CareFirst software applications and all derived, summarized and calculated elements found in data reporting tools/repositories.) Mapping artifacts to a data architecture framework and managing data/message requirements in an Enterprise Application Integration environment for Middleware layer.
- Identification of data and solution patterns
- Project estimations. This includes review and approval of estimations in the data realm.
- Creation of lists depicting external documents/references
- Creation of source to target mapping at the element level including specifications for data integrity, referential integrity, CRUD diagrams, etc.
- Design of WSDL if a web service interface is part of the solution.
- Completion of logical data designs/models; review with Business stewards as well as creation of physical data models and maintaining conformance to established CareFirst naming standards
- Review and recommendations should be made on an enterprise wide Master data management plan and when implemented continual guidance on that plan as the business needs of the company are modified. This includesfacilitate the resolution and maintenance of enterprise common valid values and assists clients with the synchronization and integration of data across the enterprise.
- Assists with business naming standards, developing and maintaining consistent data definitions, determining data aliases, documenting standard calculations and derivations, and documenting the business rules of the enterprise – e.g. serves in a role for the enforcement and maintenance of governance policies, processes, performance measurements, and roles relative to healthcare industry best practice, and providing both technical and administrative services to execute architecture policy, procedures, roles and responsibilities, concept of operations and standards
- Working with the IT Data Architecture Manager, formulate and execute a data architecture vision and direction in alignment with CareFirst's Enterprise Architecture roadmap.
- Assist in the planning of multiple simultaneous enterprise level data initiatives
- Provide a deep understanding of data architectural issues.
- Lead the development of the Enterprise Data Model
- Integrate Business and Information Architectures into a Data Architecture
- Provide high level data domain architectural design and documentation - Development/enforcement of procedures to convert enterprise assets to information assets from a Knowledge Management standpoint.
- Drive the collaborative development of technology strategy, technology standards, roadmaps and practices for data management across the enterprise.
- Work with other Data Architects on the team to ensure that CareFirst and industry design standards are followed.
- Support creation of an enterprise quality plan and continual modification / execution of the plan as the inflow and outflow of the enterprise data are modified. This includes enterprise quality reporting on the robustness of the data as well as areas of concern.
- Guide the development of a structured information environment and standardizations, enabling full traceability and data lineage across the enterprise landscape.
- Act as an integral team member on multiple projects involving Data Architecture and assume accountabilities associated therein.
- Business continuity from a Data Architecture perspective.
- Leads the Data Architecture efforts associated with data archival and retention.
- Creates data roadmaps
- Integration of technologies into data/information flows.
2.The incumbent assists the Data Architecture Manager and the Enterprise Data Architect with establishing the standards and architectural building blocks of the organization. The incumbent also ensures that the project data designs meet said business needs and adheres to stated directions and standards for the architectural building blocks.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None but can mentor/delegate to less experienced staff.
Required: This position requires Graduate Degree in Computer Science / Engineering / related IT Field with a minimum of 5 years of experience OR a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science / Engineering / related IT field with a minimum of 7 years of experience OR equivalent experience. Proven ability to distinguish data and architectural requirements at system level, project level, department level and enterprise level; must be able to perform requirements definition, analysis, data pattern analysis and design in support of enterprise data integration efforts. Demonstrated competency in strategic thinking and leadership with strong abilities in relationship management in multi-discipline environments. Demonstrated knowledge of data architecture concepts and industry trends. Experience leading the design, development and delivery of an enterprise-wide data architecture and blueprint.
Abilities/Skills: Position requires very strong written and oral communications skills, including some presentation skills. Works well under general supervision, with regular review of work needed. Candidate must be able to work with a broad range of users, business management, and IT management and project leaders. Candidate must possess professional and negotiating skills as well as the ability to function successfully in a team and results oriented environment.
- Experience in Relational, Dimensional Data Modeling with good emphasis on Serving data for Analytics, Reporting, Ad-Hoc Querying spanning across different types of data structures.
- Analyze, evaluate, design databases and identify new solutions to increase performance, efficiency and data life cycle management.
- Develop, document and implement database solution process flows and coordinate with data engineers and analysts.
- Experience with ELT Data Transformation, data modeling and visualization tools.
- Good understanding of Data Pipelines, Data Ingestion from a variety of sources (Relational Database, Parquet, Kafka etc.)
- Experience with Multi-Tenant Database Architecture.
- Hands-on Experience with Hadoop, Map/Reduce, Parquet, Impala, Hive, Spark (Retrieve/Transform data from a variety of sources, be it Parquet, Impala/Kudu etc.)
Additional Experience (Preferred, But Not Necessary)
- Experience in curating/provisioning data for Machine Learning.
- Experience with Datawarehouse Platforms like Redshift, Snowflake etc.,
- Experience with ElasticSearch
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Please apply before: 9/20/2020
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship