Who we are:
The Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care by supporting the entire spectrum of medical education, medical research, and patient care conducted by our member institutions. We are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our goal to improve the health of all. The AAMC strives to make a positive impact not only in your career, but in your life. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which features:
- Significant employer 403(b) contribution
- Public transportation subsidy
- Generous paid time off program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program that includes monthly gym subsidy, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now?
The Medical College Admission Test® (MCAT®) is a standardized, multiple-choice, computer-based test that has been a part of the medical school admissions process for more than 90 years. Each year, more than 85,000 students sit for the exam. Nearly all medical schools in the United States and several in Canada require MCAT scores, and many health profession schools and graduate programs now accept MCAT scores in lieu of other standardized tests. The MCAT exam tests examinees on the skills and knowledge that medical educators, physicians, medical students, and residents have identified as key prerequisites for success in medical school and practicing medicine.
In service to the AAMC's member medical schools, the Senior Director of the MCAT program provides program leadership and is accountable for the development and success of the MCAT exam and MCAT prep programs. This position requires the ability to balance competing demands in a high-stakes environment. You will guide all phases of MCAT design, development, administration, scoring and evaluation in concert with industry standards; and lead all aspects of business concerns, legal issues, accommodations management, security, and program communications for the MCAT and MCAT prep programs. As leader of the MCAT team, you are responsible for creating a positive team culture that motivates and encourages high performance
How will you make an impact?
- Provide strategic leadership and business management to the MCAT team and throughout AAMC on issues related to the MCAT exam, admissions assessments and evaluation in alignment with AAMC strategy.
- Stay current on broader changes in assessment, technology, and the market and their impact on the program.
- Build and strengthen relationships with examinees, medical schools, pre-health advisors, contractors, external strategic partners and other testing programs
- Drive high performance of operations and research in accordance with industry standards, sound business practices, high-quality service for prospective examinees, strong security practices, with targeted attention to underrepresented and disadvantaged students.
- Stay attuned to the medical school admissions community and MCAT validity research to ensure effectiveness of the exam and represent the AAMC and MCAT exam in the measurement field
- Collaborate with the internal partners regarding the development of new tools and assessments for medical school admissions and facilitate product development for the preparation of applicants.
- Build partnerships with AAMC staff leaders across other units and work collaboratively to meet shared objectives and priorities.
- Evaluate, and if viable, lead expansion into other markets and/or develop new collaborations with international schools and consortia.
What will you bring to the role?
- A Master's degree in business, education, psychology, or testing/measurement, with areas of focus in testing/measurement, social science research, higher education management and/or program evaluation
- 12 years of related experience in higher education, assessment and/or non-profit management, with at least 10 years of supervisory experience or specialized program experience
- Demonstrated ability to assess a situation, exercise intellectual leadership, and develop appropriate program strategies, with political acumen and sound judgment.
- Strong leadership and management skill sets, with demonstrated success in developing staff, leading high functional, high performance teams and building a positive employee experience.
- Proven experience in strategic decision-making, leadership and operational management at a senior level in a complex non-profit organization.
- Executive-level success in leading critical business functions in the areas of program development, oversight and assessment; budgeting; recruitment; communications, and information systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to represent the organization at high-level forums in the US and internationally.
- Aptitude and inclination to coach and mentor and to build a strong management infrastructure of shared values and approach.
- Strong skills in product management across a broad product portfolio
- Tact, diplomacy and demonstrated ability to manage confidential information.
- Proven track record as a knowledgeable professional in test development, delivery and assessment is preferred.
- Interpersonal skills and aptitude to deal with diverse constituents, customers, and partners, build consensus on program goals and objectives, and work toward a shared vision for the program within the academic medical community.
If a bachelor's degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.