Orders, replenishes and merchandises prepared foods products and participates in regional programs for purchasing and promotions. Monitors inventory control and replenishes product. Assists in organizing and developing promotional displays and maintaining OTS standards. All Whole Foods Market Retail jobs require ensuring a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient service to customers and Team Members at all times. All positions must be performed in accordance with team and store Standard Operating Procedures. Further, Team Members must be prepared and able to perform the duties inherent in other Team Member job descriptions. All positions must strive to support WFM core values and goals, promote national, regional, and store programs and initiatives, and ensure adherence to all applicable health and safety regulations including Food Safety and regulatory duties required in the department.
- Purchases and replenishes food for preparation through proper buying procedures.
- Monitors and acts upon open PO reports for both purchases and credits in an accurate and timely manner.
- Controls spoilage and shrink, achieves turn goals, participates in inventory.
- Completes spoilage, sampling, temperature, and sweep worksheets as required.
- Assists with counter service and cooks as scheduled or as necessary.
- Communicates with Kitchen Manager / Chef and Team Leader on ordering needs and issues.
- Maintains positive working relationship with vendors.
- Works with Team Leader or Assistant Team Leader(s) to cost recipes.
- Oversees customer special order procedure.
- Supports leadership in conducting inventories.
- Maintains financial profitability by meeting and exceeding purchasing and sales targets.
- Arrives to work station on time, appropriately groomed, dressed and ready to work; works all scheduled shifts and attends required trainings and meetings.
- Provides excellent customer service, addresses needs of customers in a timely and effective manner and models suggestive selling techniques; answers phones and pages promptly and courteously.
- Maximizes sales potential through effective and proper procedures for prepping, storing, rotating, stocking, and merchandising product.
- Follows and complies, or ensures compliance, with established procedures, including Weights and Measures, health and sanitation, and safe work practices.
- Maintains, or ensures maintenance of, a clean and sanitary working and shopping environment; maintains equipment in accordance with WFM cleanliness and safety standards.
- Performs opening, mid, and closing duties as assigned; ensures accuracy of signs and pricing.
- Immediately reports safety hazards and violations.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Extensive product knowledge, including production, distribution, seasonal availability, advances, and trends.
- Ability to create and negotiate price bids.
- Familiarity and/or willingness to learn about products, nutritional information, and other areas of study.
- Working knowledge and application of all Prepared Foods merchandising expectations.
- Complete understanding of WFM margin program and profitability.
- Ability to educate team on product knowledge and convey enthusiasm.
- Strong basic math skills.
- Knowledge and ability to use computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and ordering systems.
- Strong to excellent communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Ability to deliver information in a clear and respectable manner to fellow Team Members, customers, and vendors.
- Ability to meet customer service expectations and standards in all interactions with customers, vendors, and Team Members.
- Ability to follow directions and procedures; effective time management and organization skills.
- Passion for natural foods and the mission of Whole Foods Market.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a sense of urgency.
- Understanding of and compliance with WFM quality goals.
Desired Work Experiences
- 1+ years of Buying/Merchandising
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40 degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahren