The RN Surgical OP/ASC provides care and education for the patient based on their illness, symptoms, and courses of treatment. Manages individualized, goal-directed nursing care through use of the nursing process and the principles of primary nursing in accordance with departmental and hospital policies and procedures. The clinical performs technical skills and provides assistance to surgeons, anesthesia personnel, and other professionals in the operating room. Performs similar duties in other areas of the hospital as assigned. The clinical nurse works under the supervision of the Charge Nurse, the clinical manager. She/he is involved in disassembling, cleaning, sterilizing, and storage of procedure trays, instruments, equipment, and supplies according to prescribed procedures and aseptic techniques. She/he utilizes surgical instrumentation knowledge to prepare instruments and equipment for the surgeon to perform the procedure that is scheduled. The clinical nurse is responsible for the supervision and maintenance of the sterile field and environment of care for surgical patient. Responsible for computer documentation during the perioperative phase of treatment.
The person in this position works under general supervision, is responsible for various shifts, may be subject to over 40 hours per week and/or callback as required, and may also be required to remain on campus immediately before, during, and after severe weather and/or disasters.
- Must have ASN degree or Nursing Diploma
- One year experience as an RN in the Operating Room required
- Circulating experience preferredCurrent RN licensure
- BLS through American Heart Association
- ACLS within 90 days of employment/transfer
- Demonstrated proficiency in perioperative nursing, knowledge, and skills
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to adapt to changes in patient status, department workload