This position provides administrative and complex clerical support to the assigned department. Work involves assisting department management with general reception, preparing reports, correspondence, and other materials; entering and retrieving information from department databases; maintaining automated and manual files; and assisting callers, customers, and/or visitors.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists department management with budget related activities; reviews monthly financial reports; provides information on past budgets and expenditures for use in developing budget proposals; and retrieves and reports information on expenditures and current fund balances.
- Prepares varied and complex department documents, records, reports, and forms requiring knowledge of programs, policies and procedures. Initiates reports and documents based upon knowledge of department operations, reporting requirements, and established deadlines. Researches, compiles, consolidates, and/or tabulates information; incorporates information into requested reports and other prepared materials; proofreads for accuracy and completeness; and distributes upon approval.
- Maintains assigned inventories; prepares, reviews, and processes purchasing documents; prepares purchase orders for needed materials, equipment, and supplies; receives and distributes incoming supply shipments; reviews and codes invoices; and forwards for payment.
- Serves as liaison between department management and customers and section staff/employees; responds to questions regarding department activities and services; explains policies, procedures and operations; and follows up to obtain additional information.
- Processes invoices for payment and is responsible for departmental purchasing records and related documents.
- Assists with preparation of the department's annual budget, inputs budget information; tracks office spending; enters budget adjustments; produces budget reports.
- Maintains records of expenditures and reconciles accounts.
- Performs research on policy, rules and regulations, and historical data.
- Maintains calendar for department management; schedules meetings and appointments; makes necessary travel arrangements; prepares and distributes agendas; and obtains requested audio-visual equipment.
- Enters information into department programs and databases; updates database information; creates new spreadsheets/files; and purges old data as appropriate. Researches information from databases and incorporates into reports, summaries, and other assignments.
- Maintains department/program references such as vendor lists, Code books, training manuals, standard operating procedures; mailing lists
- Performs payroll duties; monitors timesheets for accuracy; adjusts pension codes and corrects coding for employees; ensures entries are correct.
- Performs inventory control of office supplies and equipment; order supplies and equipment, as needed.
- Receives incoming shipments and records items received; verifies accuracy of shipment. Tags all computers owned by the City. Maintains city computer equipment inventory systems.
- Processes requests for computer equipment and software for all city departments; processes requests for IT department purchases.
- Answers department telephones; provides assistance, requested documents and information; refers callers to other staff members as appropriate; and takes messages. Receives, dates, and distributes incoming mail. Prepares outgoing mail.
- Prepares folders; maintains files of department correspondence, program records, legal documents, etc.; photocopies documents and distributes and/or files; and requests information from other departments as necessary to complete department records/files.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Associate's Degree in Business Administration; with four (4) years of experience in administrative office management and excellent oral and written communications skills; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Work Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm ; Work Location: 201 Montgomery St.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Knowledge of city and bureau policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of the city utility billing system.
- Skill in decision making.
- Skill in compiling information and preparing reports.
- Skill in operating such office equipment as a typewriter, calculator, copier, and facsimile machine.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.