This is an entry level position that performs duties and assignments associated with the general maintenance of Ada County facilities. The duties assigned will require the ability to perform heavy physical labor efficiently. The position is located in the Ada County Operations Department.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
A Maintenance Technician I works under the general supervision a Maintenance Supervisor who will assign the details of each specific assignment. Additional direction may be received from a designee.
- Cleans gutters, culverts, sewers and other drainage structures;
- Loads and unloads stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, lumber, snow removal and heavy mechanical equipment;
- Assists in a helper capacity, in semi-skilled work such as plumbing, carpentry, electrical, auto repair and concrete work by retrieving tools, moving lumber, mixing or stirring concrete etc.;
- Unloads materials and equipment from delivery trucks;
- Completes records for receipt of shipments;
- Delivers boxes/packages, mail, etc.
- Operates larger automotive equipment;
- May train in the operation of riding rotary mowers;
- May perform simple pruning of trees and shrubs;
- Perform various tasks such as trash pick-up/removal, operating a small floor scrubbing machine and light janitorial duties.
- Performs related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred;
- Some experience in heavy manual labor preferred;
- Skill in the use of a variety of simple hand tools;
- Ability to work safely with a variety of tools (shovels, ladders, mower, saws, etc.);
- Ability to operate motor vehicles safely;
- Ability to understand and follow simple verbal instructions.
- Incumbent must possess a valid Idaho driver's license;
- Must be able to be reached by telephone after hours;
- This position has been designated safety sensitive and therefore the incumbent is subject to random drug testing.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- The employee must be available to work variable shifts, perform overtime work, and be subject to call to meet the needs of maintenance to County buildings and facilities;
- Incumbent exerts heavy physical effort in doing such tasks as frequently moving heavy and/or bulky items, running mowers, and loading or unloading a variety of materials;
- The incumbent works outside in unpleasant weather;
- Uses tools and ladders, which require care to avoid injury.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential functions satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. Ada County provides Veteran's Preference for all County jobs except for those deemed "key positions" in accordance with Title 65, Chapter 5 of Idaho Code.