For almost 200 years, PQ Corporation has envisioned the future of performance materials, chemicals and catalysts through collaborative innovation, making products that touch all of us, every day.
- Cleaner Emissions - Our Catalysts and Refining Services products and solutions help companies produce vehicles with improved fuel efficiency and cleaner emissions.
- Safer Travels - We produce highly engineered Performance Materials that help make highways and airports safer for drivers, pedestrians, pilots and passengers
- Better Care - Our products are critical ingredients in consumer applications that help make teeth brighter and skin softer
- Carbon-Free - With inorganic and carbon-free products, we contribute to improving the sustainability of our planet.
We are a leading global provider of specialty catalysts, materials, chemicals, and services that enable environmental improvements, enhance consumer products, and increase personal safety.
Our Performance Chemicals plant is Joliet, IL is searching for a Safety and Health Specialist. In this role, the Safety and Health Specialist will perform the following responsibilities:
- Provides S&H support to multiple Performance Chemicals operating sites as assigned by VP, SH&GA. Additional responsibilities and changes in responsibilities may be made at the discretion of the PQ Corporation VP of SH&GA.
- Analyze the work environment and develop programs designed to control, eliminate, and prevent occupational disease and/or injury and/or environmental harm caused by physical, chemical, biological agents or ergonomic factors. Must be able to align these with the organization's requirements in order to maintain consistency.
- Provide technical support to front line leadership on matters related to occupational safety and health compliance, and loss prevention.
- Conducts occupational health and safety risk assessments as appropriate (e.g., aspect/impact analysis, pre-startup safety reviews, etc.) and prioritizes/recommends/implements risk reduction and mitigation measures.
- Conduct field and site inspections to enforce adherence to laws, regulations and employer policies governing occupational safety and health compliance.
- Prepare reports for use by company personnel and regulatory agencies. Provide safety and health support services to plant operations.
- Develop and manage initiatives to promote a proactive health and safety culture, including processes designed to increase employee involvement, education, and recognition by participation in safety committees, incident investigations, training, occupational health matters and compliance auditing. Upward report and interpret injury data to identify trends and/or causal factors, such as behavioral factors, system failure, incomplete or faulty decision-making, or a weakness in existing policies or practices or regulations.
- Investigate incidents and non-compliance events to determine contributing factors and recommend remedial action to prevent reoccurrence.
- Liaise with regulatory agencies on matters related to reporting and/or investigating compliance concerns.
- Develop and deliver regulatory required training related to safety and health.
- May lead and/or participate in the development and implementation of initiatives to promote a proactive health and safety culture, including processes designed to increase employee involvement, education, and recognition by participation in safety committees, incident investigations, training, occupational health matters and internal auditing. Assists in scoring and prioritization of S&H capital projects, management of change and project management as appropriate.
- Manage SH&GA projects as assigned.
- BS in Safety Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or similar engineering or science degree. Certified Safety Professional (CSP) a plus.
- 7+ years HSE experience in manufacturing or processing industry, with at least 5 years resident at an operating site.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be proficient in serving as a change agent within the operating environment and working with the organization/ management to improve S&H performance.
- Ability to address and solve complex S&H issues from a wider perspective.
- Must be an independent, self-motivated individual with the ability to multi-task and administer a broad range of duties including; resolving concerns, counseling employees and providing technical interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Ability to perform physical inspections of office area, warehouses, utility spaces, construction work areas, and operating areas.
- Ability to coach, teach and counsel and be comfortable speaking to groups. Must be able to work independently without day-to-day supervision.
- Excellent knowledge of federal, state, and local safety and health regulations.
- Must also be proficient in recognizing and reducing safety and health risk. Must be comfortable in dealing with S&H issues in the operating environment and working with all levels of employees (from front-line employees to senior management).
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret regulations, professional journals, technical procedures and technical results.
- Ability to provide flexible judgement and solutions to concerns and/or opportunities.
- Ability to travel 50% of the time, primarily within the US.