This position is responsible for the inspection, scheduling, recording and reporting of assigned railroad structures in an effort to ensure the safety G&W and the public. The successful candidate will be able to operate in a fast paced, demanding environment and be able to deliver comprehensive structures inspections on time and in line with federal, corporate and regional requirements. Excellent organizational skills, resource management and attention to detail are essential to be effective execution in this position.
- Conduct detailed and accurate inspections of structures across defined territory noting conditions and repair priorities of all components of the structures.
- Ensure that prompt and appropriate action is taken for each structure to ensure the safety of G&W trains, employees and the public.
- Climb all aspects of the bridges to determine and report the conditions.
- Schedule and coordinate inspections for assigned territory.
- Ability to prioritize findings and defects in line with federal and G&W requirements.
- Ensure inspection data is promptly recorded into G&W's Electronic Structures Information and Management System.
- Coordinate with regional personnel regarding inspection schedules and plans.Assist corporate and regional bridge staff in short-term and long-term bridge capital and repair programs.
- Assist in emergency situations requiring the inspections of any G&W structures
- Develop and grow regional relationships vital to the success and safety of the structures program.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Structures Inspection.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2-5 years of experience in structures inspection and engineering.
- A working knowledge of the railroad industry.
- Thorough working knowledge of FRA regulations, AREMA recommended practices and the AREMA Bridge Inspection Handbook
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Basic understanding of database management.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Ability to accurately express structures condition details in written and oral communication.
- Ability to communicate effectively with regions and senior management teams, employees, customers, railroads, regulatory agency officials, and the general public.
- Ability to operate machinery relative to bridge inspections.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions.
- Poses the ability to work at great heights.
- Ability to climb, stoop, kneel, bend and reach overhead.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- Required: High School Diploma/GED.
- Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Civil or Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited school of engineering.
- 90% or more covering the G&W North America railroads.
- Ability to report to work with minimal advance notice.
- Work flexible daily schedules, including weekends, dictated by travel distance and and inspection schedules.
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.