Job Title: Assistant Floral Manager FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Floral Revision Date: 03/2009
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Assists Department Manager to present the freshest most innovative and best quality products at a competitive retail price to customers.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Director; Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Managers of Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Assistant Managers;Floral Manager
Direct Reports: Floral Clerks, Floral Designers
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by: (examples include)
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
- Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking product orders.
- Works as an integral part of the floral team (holidays may require extended hours).
- Checks orders for the day and sets up a timeline and production schedule.
- Reviews appearance of, inventories, replenishes, and cares for, damaged merchandise within department and throughout the store.
- Ensures department standards are met.
- Oversees the floral designers and clerks – outlines duties, trains, and follows up to ensure duties are completed.
- Operates as a lead with the floral clerks, (eg. Trains simple designs, how to take telephone orders, etc.).
- Handles and satisfies customer issues.
- Ensures department is clean and neat including but not limited to cleaning cases and shelves, and sweeping floors at least daily.
- Understands and processes FTD, interstore, and Teleflora orders.
- Fills customer orders completely and creates floral arrangements at their request, all in a timely manner.
- Takes special requests for product either in person or over the telephone.
- Counsels customers regarding plants and floral care.
- Identifies key areas to place specials within the store.
- Orders flowers and supplies daily or as needed.
- Handles product problems.
- Understands the basics of floral products, care and handling, plant and flower identification, and can explain products requirements to customers.
- Receives deliveries, puts product away, reviews invoices, and logs in record book daily.
- Cleans, processes, and cuts flowers appropriately.
- Wraps flowers and is careful not to damage.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivers product as necessary.
- Assumes management duties in absence of Department Manager.
- Shares ideas for arrangements for the customers as necessary (funerals, weddings, anniversaries, etc.).
- Assists manager with paper work, scheduling, pricing, displays, promotions and determining pre-orders.
- Reads industry references, listens to floral experts, and remains open to new ideas.
- Helps with and may decorate in store events.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Instructs, assigns, reviews and plans work of others. Maintains standards, coordinates activities, and allocates personnel.
Education and Experience:
High school or equivalent experience (department training helpful) and over six months up to one year of similar or related experience.
Ÿ Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Ÿ Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Ÿ Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
- Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store environment. There is significant pressure to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities. There is exposure to dirt, noise, dangerous chemicals/solvents, dampness and temperature extremes.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Standard tools and equipment used in a floral environment including computer, underwater cutter, wire cutter, pricing gun, dosetron, scissors, knives, pick machine, register system, helium tank, telephone, Telexon ordering unit, and C.A.R.S. system.
Shares responsibility of department cash register, computer, printer, and credit card transactions.
Has daily contact with the general public, customers, suppliers/vendors and FTD and Teleflora.
Has access to confidential information including ad items, sales and order records. Maintains confidentiality on orders placed (including, who sent, who received, order, and cost).