Distinguishing Features of Work Benefits Supplemental Questions
The Wichita Police Department has an immediate opening for one armed Security Officer with the department's Security Section. The section provides security at City Hall and the Advanced Learning Library with both locations being high-paced, requiring outgoing customer service and excellent multi-tasking skills. The primary location of the City's government administration, City Hall, has the potential for high visibility due to visiting citizens from varying diverse backgrounds including dignitaries from local, state and federal governments. Security Officers must provide the appropriate level of tact and diplomacy at all times. Professionalism and courtesy are a priority for dealing with all visiting public.
The Security section is a 24 hour, 365 day operation with multiple shift schedules and varying days off, to include working holidays as required.
General responsibilities of this position includes: monitoring City of Wichita facilities and infrastructure utilizing electronic monitoring equipment and computers, customer assistance in all aspects of security service, in person and by telephone answering questions of visitors seeking directions or information, screening visitors and deliveries to City Hall to ensure the safety of visitors and employees, and other related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned as needed.
The employee(s) selected for this position must be able to demonstrate a strong customer service orientation, possess excellent communication skills, demonstrate computer competency which includes the ability to assist others with basic computing needs, and has a good knowledge of security methods and practices. Additionally, this position will require an extensive criminal history background check, a psychological exam and the issuance and use of a firearm within expected policies, regulations, and guidelines.
This position can be assigned to either the City Hall or Advanced Learning Library locations as determined by staffing needs, The position requires flexibility which can include working all shifts, 1st, 2nd and 3rd at both the City Hall and Advanced Learning Library locations, and scheduled/unscheduled overtime when necessary.
The shift schedules for this position is:
Advanced Learning Library
Sun, Mon, Thurs & Fri 12:15pm - 8:15pm, Sat 9:45am - 6:15pm. Tues/Wed OFF
Examples of Work Performed:
- Directs visitors or clients in evacuation of premises at times of emergency.
- Deters occurrences of an illegal nature by appearing in uniform.
- Answers questions of visitors seeking directions or information.
- Performs crowd control functions as needed.
- Screens visitors and deliveries to City Hall to ensure the safety of visitors and employees.
- Monitors City of Wichita facilities and infrastructure utilizing electronic monitoring equipment and computers.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Knowledge of security methods and practices
- Ability to conduct routine programming of security systems
- Ability to lawfully carry a firearm in the State of Kansas
- Ability to patrol area of responsibility quietly on foot.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds repeatedly up to a height of 30"
- Visual acuity that meets established medical standards
- Ability to stand and walk up to six hours per day
- Ability to effectively oversee the work of others
- Ability to monitor some areas by video display monitor and report activity to Police Department
- Ability to distinguish colors during daytime and nighttime hours
- Ability to exercise good judgment and to physically handle unruly individuals
- Ability to notice and report hazardous and unusual situations
- Ability to develop and maintain physical alertness and reliability
- Ability to run and move about quickly
- Ability to qualify with a firearm and maintain proficiency with both hands
- Ability to complete a minimum 32 hours of self-defense and handcuffing training, and maintain proficiency.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, representatives of outside organizations, and the public
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to change specific work hours as needed, including temporary shift changes
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training: Two years of security or other related public contact experience. Firearm experie