Protection & Controls Design Engineer Orange, CT & Binghamton, New York
K&A is a people-first organization. We value knowledge and learning. We believe in the power of connection and collaboration and we seek to build relationships that mean something. We employ some of the best and brightest in the industry and we work hard to maintain a culture that our people can be proud of.
Our Utilities division is a talented team of experts working together to provide solutions that are vital to energizing our future. We provide full-service electrical engineering services to support electric utilities nationwide. We're also fortunate to support wind farms, DER renewables and transmissions systems.
Due to Client growth, we are actively seeking 2+ new P&C Engineers to Perform detailed review of all existing protection schemes present in the subject area to incorporate into new design.
Special areas of focus are anti-islanding schemes, generator intertie settings, SPS schemes, etc.
- Lead overall protection design for all capital projects and define relay protection functionality/scheme in accordance with the clients TM standards
- Review contractor provided relay settings, logic diagrams (including Goose messaging diagrams), and operational descriptions for all capital projects
- Review/perform area relay coordination and determine what level of area coordination is required/needed (based on changes in fault duty and overall system performance due to the project changes)
- Review contractor provided relay settings for all temporary builds and construction sequence steps including mobile settings
- Review/provide input to Owners Aspen model changes as required for individual capital projects
- Provide design support during implementation/testing and commissioning of the above the items
- Provide feedback to Owner on existing TM standards and help refine the Owners design practices
- Ensure all as-built documentation gets filed appropriately in the plant filing location at Owner
- Lead overall automation and integration design for all capital projects
- Review/design SCADA point indexes
- Review contractor provided HMI screens/settings for all capital projects
- Review/design Protection settings and settings basis
- Review/design IED Data Maps
- Review/create substation level operational descriptions (HMI operation, relay front panel operation, etc.)
- Review automated maintenance data gathering (Digital Substation Data) point lists
- Track all required licenses/firewalls and key automation and integration deliverables needed for project implementation
- Provide design support during implementation/testing and commissioning of the above items
- Perform constructability review and ensure adequate automation and integration coverage is available for each outage step (SCADA etc.)
Preferred Experience & Qualifications:
- 7 years or more of Relay/Protection Settings Engineering Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology
- IEC 61850/Goose Experience Required
- Strong Background and Knowledge of All Disciplines
- Must have current US Work authorization and valid US Driver License in good standing
K&A Engineering Consulting, P.C. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) including disability/vets. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.