Are you searching for a job that provides dynamic and impactful contributions, in multiple fields that includes Space, Defense and other National interests?
Would you like join a team that shares knowledge, encourages learning, creativity and career growth?
Does this sound like you?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join APL.
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is passionate about building defining innovations that ensure our nation's preeminence in the 21st century. We are seeking a Senior Composites Technician to join our team, in the Engineered Materials Fabrication Group. Your primary responsibility will be to fabricate composite hardware and bonded assemblies according to APL customer drawings, specifications, and heritage practices. You will work in a state of the art manufacturing and research facility and you will be supporting R&D programs, including National Security, Space & Undersea hardware programs.
As a Senior Composites Technician, you will:
- Help APL customers with composite material selection and processing steps.
- Generate Work Instructions documentation that captures all composite processing steps for building customer hardware.
- Be involved with tooling design, materials, and manufacturing to produce accurate composite hardware.
- Provide work estimates when requested by customer for work planning purposes.
- Design composite parts, ply cutting, and tooling, using CAD.
- Use manual machining methods to trim composite hardware.
- Work and collaborate with machinists when CNC machining of composite hardware is performed.
- Perform on-site and field site training for APL and external companies when requested.
- Travel to work sites when work must be performed at site-specific work areas.
- Be involved with IRAD and Technical Initiatives that require composite components.
- Build composite test specimens and help coordinate both physical and mechanical material testing.
- Serve as a subject matter expert within APL to raise the awareness of our composite fabrication area and interact with potential customers to provide capabilities and limitations, and the principles of design for composite manufacturing.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A High School Diploma (equivalent) or higher degree.
- 10 years of experience working with composite materials, fabrication methods, tooling, and adhesive bonded assemblies.
- Experience in operating controllers for computer controlled autoclaves, ovens, and other processing equipment.
- Experience with manual composite machining methods such as using dye grinders, router tables, ban saws, cutting wheels, and drill press.
- Experience in process development of advanced composite structures.
- Experience in CAD software.
- Experience using MS Word and Excel to generate word documents and spreadsheets.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with other technicians, engineers and customers.
- The ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Special Working Conditions
- Ability to travel to field sites for materials and process engineering tasking.
- Ability to meet physical requirements for working with ordnance.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
LI-BG1 #APL-SR1 #24169