Do you get energized by working with teams to tackle difficult challenges and rapidly deliver human centered solutions?
Do you have a deep understanding of design thinking methods and techniques, but always work to improve on your process?
Do you get excited by delivering high-impact products and valuable, people-oriented experiences that solve critical stakeholder needs?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Senior Design Strategist and design practitioner to lead cross-functional teams in the discovery, design, development, and delivery of amazing solutions for complex problems in strategic planning, process improvement, product design, and service delivery. You will become a core part of APL's Design Thinking Group and work with talented teammates to define all aspects of end-to-end experience and product design. You will have the opportunity to be an advocate and coach for design thinking, helping others in the organization develop their knowledge and experience in a variety of techniques.
You will be a leader – creating a vision for enabling the success of our customers. We are looking for a candidate that is obsessed with delivering phenomenal customer-centric experiences, showing proven success in ownership, bias for action, and thinking big. We are looking for a candidate that has experience using design thinking to discover and deliver solutions and is a thought leader in the application of human centered design.
You'll be joining our diverse team of problem solvers that employ design and systems thinking to conceptualize and develop high-impact, creative concepts. We believe that authentic connections, intellectual humility, and restless curiosity deliver the most powerful solutions and we're relentlessly focused on the human at the center of every challenge.
As a Senior Design Strategist, you will…
- Be an essential member of a Design Thinking group, leading cross-functional teams to develop critical concepts for our customers and advancing the overall quality and understanding of design thinking across the organization.
- Constantly leverage your talent in design and systems thinking to build insightful opportunities from user research and create meaningful concepts from that synthesis.
- Connect the dots between various user groups, workflows, technology trends and turn them into simple and impactful outcomes.
- Look for opportunities to solve problems in unusual and innovative ways.
- Distill complicated problems into simple and elegant solutions.
- Mentor, lead, and inspire engineers and designers to achieve outstanding work and innovative product ideas based on research and insights.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and an ability to balance great design while meeting short deadlines.
- Always be looking to refine your processes and designs through feedback and through a forward understanding of design and technology trends and best practices.
- Leverage your solid skill in standard design tools (Adobe CC, Balsamiq), hand drawing and visual communication, time-based and interactive prototyping tools – often with the users - to lay the foundation for amazing prototypes.
- Use generative, collaborative techniques to establish a variety of design decisions and scenarios.
- Explore new ways to create compelling pitches, stories, presentations, and workshops that demonstrate context and solutions for teammates and stakeholders alike.
- Develop interactive code or no-code prototypes for a variety of devices, systems, and products.
- Demonstrate a keen understanding of visual design principles, user research insights, and how to synthesize outputs to effectively craft products and experiences.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have:
- BA/BFA/BS or a relevant discipline, including Interactive, Industrial Design, Visual, or Product Design; Human Factors; Psychology; Cognitive Science, engineering or equivalent.
- Expertise in systemic thinking and strong knowledge of interaction design principles and methodology.
- 5 years of experience in human centered design, design thinking, experience design, product design, or industrial design.
- 3 years leading diverse teams to solve complex problems using design thinking.
- Experience planning, conducting, and communicating the findings from user research to a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience planning and conducting both quantitative and qualitative user research at all stages of product development.
- If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet
the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Willingness to travel up to 20%. Locations are TBD but would be Naval Bases, Research Locations, and meetings including but not limited to San Diego, Hawaii, Norfolk, Groton, and San Francisco.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- Experience in federal government, federal government consulting, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with leading collaboration methodologies from industry (e.g. Google Sprint, LUMA, etc.)
- Product or Project management experience and/or credentials.
- A strong design portfolio that you can share with us.
- An active Secret security clearance or above.
- Experience with Agile and other software development methodologies.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.