WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LB&I) DIVISION? The Large Business and International (LB&I) business unit provides service and enforcement activities to support tax compliance of businesses and related entities with assets of $10 million or more, as well as small U.S. businesses engaged in international, U.S. citizens abroad, and foreign persons and businesses with a U.S. tax requirement.
See Post of Duty For Locations
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A SENIOR INTERNAL REVENUE AGENT DO? As a Sr Revenue Agent, you will plan, conduct, and lead compliance activities on complex business entities. Initiate, plan, control, and execute studies and projects on tax compliance, such as campaigns. Serve as coach/mentor and collaborate with other experts, revenue agents, counsel, appeals, management, and industry to ensure emerging or strategic issues are identified and addressed. Provide guidance and review work projects involving emerging issues, areas of non-compliance and other work related to tax administration.
As a Sr Internal Revenue Agent you will:
- Maintain expertise through continuous learning activities needed to facilitate and coordinate the identification, development, and resolution of issues during examinations.
- Serve as an expert on technical issues on the identification, risk assessment, development, and resolution of issues during examinations. Develop technical content, and other resources to share knowledge, expand technical expertise, and ensure consistency.
- Participate in project assignments, solve problems, identify actionable events, meet milestones, deadlines and time frames for completion.
- Prepare, present, communicate, and collaborate with appropriate internal and external stakeholders on technical guidance and new approaches to emerging or existing issues.
- Ensure that the organization's strategic plan, mission, vision, and values are communicated and integrated into the Practice Area and LB&I goals, work products, and services.
- Make recommendations for development of new tax laws affecting technical issues and ensure emerging or strategic issues are identified from all potential sources and effectively escalated.
- Provide advice and guidance to examiners and respond to requests for information, including answering inquiries in a prompt and responsive manner, following up with guidance provided, and collaborating with others.
- Monitor the applicable team members and report on the status and progress of examinations and other work; review work in progress and completed work to ensure that the guidance and instructions on work priorities, methods, deadlines and quality have been met.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 To 5 Nights Per Month
- Job family (Series)
0512 Internal Revenue Agent
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
- Refer to Other Information
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: (All grade levels)
You must have Bachelor's or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management or finance; OR A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a four year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e. at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above; OR A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory or the District of Columbia; OR Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year.
In addition to the above qualifications, you must possess the following professional accounting knowledges: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting and Auditing. For more information on the required accounting knowledges please refer to Internal Revenue Agent Basic Requirements
This knowledge is typically acquired by completion of an accounting degree from a four-year college or university. If not from an academic environment, the knowledge can also be obtained from certain work experience.
For positions at GS-12 and above: Qualifying experience must have been in progressively responsible and diversified professional accounting or auditing work that required 1) knowledge of and skill in applying professional accounting principles, theory, and practices to analyze and interpret accounting books, records, or systems specifically to determine their effect on Federal tax liabilities and their adequacy for recording transactions affecting tax liabilities; 2) skill in interpreting and applying Federal tax law for individuals, business, and/or exempt organizations, partnerships, and corporations; 3) knowledge of business and trade practices to develop tax issues based on analysis and evaluation of overall business operations and financial condition; 4) knowledge of corporate financial transactions and financial management principles and practices; and 5) skill in interacting effectively with a broad range of individuals and in negotiating with specialists in accounting, legal, tax, and other similar business-related professions.
Some positions may require additional specialized knowledge and skills, such as those dealing with employee benefit plans, exempt organizations, excise tax, computer auditing, and international or specialized industry/market segment programs.
Employment is conditional on a satisfactory report of background investigation, including a tax audit, conducted when and as may be necessary under the security requirements of the Internal Revenue Service
GS-14 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience in applying professional accounting principles, theory, and practices; Researching, interpreting and analyzing tax implications of corporate financial transactions; Experience using analytical and evaluative techniques, to gather, identify, evaluate, and develop work methods to resolve multifaceted interrelated issues and combined Federal tax effects; Experience dealing tactfully and persuasively with taxpayers and stakeholders, to explain complex interpretation of tax laws, regulations and resolve issues; Experience as a technical expert with large, complex business returns pertaining to the application of tax principles, policies, legal decisions, and guidance for international tax areas (i.e., international business provisions of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act, Foreign Tax Credits, Earnings & Profits, Expense Allocation and Apportionment, Sourcing of Income, Subpart F, Outbound transfers of Intangible Property, Transfer Pricing, controlled foreign corporations, disregarded entities and check-the-box elections); and experience with Advance Pricing and Mutual Agreement (APMA), including Treaties, Advance Pricing Agreement (APA), and Competent Authority procedures; and experience evaluating and explaining complex international tax concepts to others both verbally and in writing.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part- time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-13 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
PLEASE NOTE BASIC EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GRADES LISTED ABOVE.
POST OF DUTY LOCATIONS LISTED BELOW:
- 801 Tom Martin Dr, Birmingham, AL (AL2085)
- 700 W Capitol, Little Rock, AR (AR0063)
- 4375 N Vantage Dr, Fayetteville, AR (AR1316)
- 4041 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ (AZ7748)
- 300 North Los Angeles St, Los Angeles, CA (CA0150)
- 450 Golden Gate Ave, San Francisco, CA (CA0154)
- 501 W Ocean Blvd, Long Beach, CA (CA0273)
- 1301 Clay St, Oakland, CA (CA0281)
- 333 W Broadway, San Diego, CA (CA0316)
- 24000 Avila Rd, Laguna Niguel, CA (CA0521)
- 55 South Market St, San Jose, CA (CA6116)
- 4330 Watt Ave, Sacramento, CA (CA6139);
- 225 W Broadway, Glendale, CA (CA6218)
- 801 Civic Center Dr, W., Santa Ana, CA (CA7395)
- 9350 Flair Dr, El Monte, CA (CAD002)
- 12600 W Colfax Ave, Ste C300, Lakewood, CO (COD002)
- 135 High St, Hartford, CT (CT0013)
- 150 Court St, New Haven, CT (CT0061)
- 761 Main Ave, Suite 1000, Norwalk, CT (CT3438)
- 1111 Constitution Ave NW, Washington, DC (DC0022)
- 77 K St NE, Washington, DC (DC0198)
- 999 N Capitol St NE, Washington, DC (DC0221)
- 1352 Marrows Rd, Newark, DE (DE0052)
- 51 SW First Ave, Miami, FL (FL0061)
- 400 West Bay St, Jacksonville, FL (FL0067)
- 850 Trafalgar Ct, Maitland, FL (FL2257)
- 7850 S. W. 6th Ct, Plantation, FL (FL2347)
- 2203 N Lois Ave, Tampa, FL (FL2971)
- 210 Metro Pkwy, Ft. Myers, FL (FL3285)
- 1700 Palm Bch Lakes Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL (FLD002)
- 401 W Peachtree St, Atlanta, GA (GA0087)
- 2888 Woodcock Blvd, Atlanta, GA (GA2004)
- 1899 Powers Ferry Rd SE, Atlanta (Marietta), GA (GA2401)
- 1099 Alakea St, Honolulu, HI (HI8171)
- 210 Walnut St, Des Moines, IA (IA0112)
- 230 S. Dearborn St, Chicago, IL (IL0236)
- 2001 Butterfield Rd, Downers Grove, IL (IL2337)
- 5100 River Rd, Schiller Park, IL (IL2558)
- 3101 Constitution Drive, Springfield, IL (IL2454)
- 575 N Pennsylvania, Indianapolis, IN (IN0133)
- 555 N. Woodlawn St, Building 4, Wichita, KS (KS1615)
- 600 Dr Martin L King Pl, Louisville, KY (KY0086)
- 1555 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA (LA1336)
- 15 New Sudbury St, Boston, MA (MA0131))
- One Montvale Ave, Stoneham, MA (MA5632)
- 118 Turnpike Rd, Southborough, MA (MA5863)
- 120 Liberty St, Brockton, MA (MA5955)
- 31 Hopkins Plaza, Baltimore, MD (MD0055)
- 6010 Executive Blvd, Rockville, MD (MD1248)
- 5000 Ellin Rd, Lanham-Seabrook, MD (MD0278) New Carrollton Bldg.
- 985 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI (MI0800)
- 22600 Hall Rd, Ste 102, Clinton Township, MI (MI1942)
- 38275 West Twelve Mile Rd, Suite 200, Farmington Hills, MI (MI2097)
- 1270 Pontiac Rd, Pontiac, MI (MI2181)
- 3251 N Evergreen Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI (MI2210)
- 3971 S Research Park Dr, Suite B, Ann Arbor, MI (MI2218)
- 917 N. Saginaw St, Flint, MI (MI3022)
- 1550 American Blvd East, Bloomington, MN (MN1675)
- 1122 Town and Country Commons, Chesterfield, MO (MO1833) Town and Country
- 2850 NE Independence Ave, Lee's Summit, MO (MO2008)
- 7751 Brier Creek Pkwy, Ste 102, Raleigh, NC (NC1151)
- 10715 David Taylor Dr, Charlotte, NC (NC2598)
- 4905 Koger Blvd, Greensboro, NC (NC2668)
- 1616 Capitol Ave, Omaha, NE (NE0051)
- 200 Federal Plaza, Paterson, NJ (NJ0145)
- 200 Sheffield St, Mountainside, NJ (NJ4360)
- 101 Wood Ave S, Iselin, NJ (NJ4664)
- 100 Dey Pl, Edison, NJ (NJD001)
- 110 N City Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV (NV7516);
- 201 Varick St, New York, NY (NY0128)
- 26 Federal Plaza, New York, NY (NY0282)
- 11 A Clinton Ave, Albany, NY (NY0300)
- 290 Bwy - Foley Square, New York, NY (NY0350);
- 255 East Ave, Rochester, NY (NY7064)
- 130 South Elmwood Ave, Suite 100, Buffalo, NY (NY7340)
- 999 Stewart Ave, Bethpage, NY (NY7501)
- 550 Main St, Cincinnati, OH (OH0189)
- 200 N High St, Columbus, OH (OH0208)
- 6450 Rockside Woods Blvd S, Suite 300, Independence, OH (OH2320)
- 55 North Robinson, Oklahoma City, OK (OK1356)
- 1645 South 101st E. Ave, Tulsa, OK (OK1358)
- 1220 SW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR (OR0043)
- 1000 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh, PA (PA0233)
- 600 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA (PA0277)
- 601 S. Henderson Rd, King Of Prussia, PA (PA0507)
- 2970 Market St, Philadelphia, PA (PA0809)
- City View Plaza, 48 Carr 165, Suite 2000, Guaynabo, PR (PR4001)
- 60 Quaker Ln, Warwick, RI (RI7085)
- 5333 Getwell Rd, Memphis, TN (TN0005)
- 801 Broadway, Nashville, TN (TN0052)
- 127 International Dr, Franklin, TN (TN2709)
- 300 E. Eighth St, Austin, TX (TX0227)
- 8701 S Gessner, Houston, TX (TX0297)
- 1919 Smith, Houston, TX (TX0298)
- 4050 Alpha Rd, Farmers Branch, TX (TX0302)
- 3651 S IH-35, Austin, TX (TX2038)
- 12941 I 45, Houston, TX (TX2298)
- 8626/8700 Tesoro Dr, San Antonio, TX (TX2559)
- 5450 Stratum Dr, Ste 150, Fort Worth, TX (TX2653)
- 12309 N Mopac Expwy, Austin, TX (TX2835)
- 324 25th St, Ogden, UT (UT0035)
- 1160 W 1200 S Ogden, UT (UT0036)
- 105 23rd St, Ogden, UT (UT1434)
- 178 South Rio Grande St, Salt Lake City, UT (UT1522)
- 7980 Quantum Dr, Vienna, VA (VA0008)
- 400 North Eighth St, Richmond, VA (VA0088)
- 200 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA (VA1608)
- 915 Second Ave, Seattle, WA (WA0101)
- N14 W24200 Tower Pl, Suite 202, Waukesha, WI (WI1696)
- 211 West Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI (WI1720)