Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide; we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we're making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we're bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
About this position:
This position is within the Systems Integration & Validation (SIV) group at Starry. You'll be working with a team of 3-4 other engineers reporting to the director of the group. This team is primarily responsible for advancing the overall performance of Starry's communications products. This work involves extensive data collection, analysis, discussion, prototyping, experimentation, and reporting. This is not a position where each task has been thought out for you in advance. Success in this position will require a high level of technical capability combined with an ability to think concurrently about many abstract concepts.
Other teams within SIV are responsible for areas including Firmware Validation and Communications Products Delivery. SIV teams are highly interdisciplinary and not siloed at all. We work collaboratively with each other and with the other teams at Starry to achieve amazing results.
What You'll Do:
- Create systems to collect data in laboratory and field environments.
- Analyze data and write programs and spreadsheets.
- Implement prototype versions of new algorithms.
- Design, build, and operate laboratory experiments.
- Participate in and lead technical discussions with teammates.
- Prove viability of new system features before they are selected for product inclusion.
- Prepare and present reports to other groups and stakeholders.
- Document findings and recommendations so that they can be used by others.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other related disciplines.
- Proficiency with Python programming.
- Proficiency with GNU/Linux and bash.
- Working knowledge of embedded systems.
- Familiarity with electronics labs and test equipment, e.g. spectrum analyzer.
- Persuasive communications skills -- convince others of the benefits of your work!
- Solid understanding of networking concepts and protocols (e.g. TCP/IP).
- Experience with TCP acceleration techniques (e.g. proxying, QUIC).
- Experience with RF systems and concepts (e.g. RSSI, CNR, EVM).
- Understanding of wireless communications protocols, e.g. 802.11ac/ax (Wi-Fi).
- Knowledge of C, C++, Rust.
- Experience with source control and defect tracking systems (Github, Jira, etc.)
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.