Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
Essential Job Functions
The Facilities Operations maintenance department is looking to add a motivated individual with diverse skills working on old and new mechanical equipment. The successful candidate will possess the abilities to keep older equipment maintained and operational but also be comfortable working with newer sophisticated systems and controls.
Under general supervision, performs any of the duties necessary to maintain buildings and grounds and in addition, regularly directs up to four other employees engaged in maintaining, operating and repairing buildings, equipment, yards, drives, walks, etc., and including such duties as:
- Maintaining, trouble – shooting, repairing and installing various building HVACR mechanical systems
- Performing work on mechanical equipment where a permit and/or service license would be required
- Installation/modification of various electrical circuits/components
- Repair/replace/install HVACR equipment/components
- Installation/modification of ductwork, dydronic system components
- Coordinating mechanical repair work
- Performing other related work
- Available to travel, work nights, weekends, holiday as business needs necessitate
- The omission of additional general duties does not prevent the assignment of future additional job tasks if such tasks support the needs of the business and are reasonable for this position.
Interested applicants must attach a resume with a detailed work history. Failure to attach a resume will result in automatic disqualification from the position.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience working in the commercial and industrial HVACR sector
- Hold and retain a State of Michigan Mechanical License (Class 1, 2, 3, 6, 8)
- Hold and retain an EPA Universal Refrigerant Recovery Certification
- Preferred; Michigan Boiler Installers License Class 1B or higher
- Have current experience working in the field
Highly Preferred Qualifications
- Should have a general knowledge of buildings maintenance standards and practices, and understand the use and care of tools required on this job
- General knowledge of electrical code as it applies to this work, and be able to solve mechanical problems related to the job
- Must be able to read and work from schematics and prints
- Must demonstrate aptitude for mechanical work
- Knowledge of relevant safety and environmental standards (OSHA, MIOSHA, etc.) and ensure that all work is in conformance with such standards
- Ability to obtain and retain Michigan State certification for refrigerants
Hours and Travel
- Operates a motor vehicle to transports parts and materials to various job sites and facilities
- Up to 25% of travel
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl.
- The employee must be able to talk and hear.
- He/she must be able to traverse the power plant to inspect and operate all plant related equipment.
- The employee must meet vision requirements to include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.