- Report to the Terminal Manager/Assistant Terminal Manager
- Lead, guide and direct employees to include setting targets, monitoring performance, providing coaching, counseling and development. Accountable for the management of an efficient, clean and safe LTL operation to include dock planning and set up schedules.
- Involved in hiring, training and terminations; assuring all paperwork is processed according to proper Company guidelines with appropriate levels of follow up with management on timely task completion.
- Administer and carry out assigned portions of the Terminal Business plan as set forth by the Terminal Manager.
- Manager all terminal operations in the absence of the Terminal Manager or Assistant Terminal Manager.
- Enforce understanding and compliance with all Company policies and procedures; safety rules and government regulations.
- Responsible for meeting all KPI's assigned
- Ensure timely pickup and delivery of freight and verify freight for all billing
- Observe loading of trucks for proper handling and distribution of freight for transport
- Enforce all safety measures in regard to balance of freight for safe operation of trucks
- Oversee terminal operations to ensure customer satisfaction while minimizing costs
- Direct investigations into causes of customer complaints and recommend solutions to correct them
- Assist with the coordination of drivers and assign trucks and delivery routes for pickup and delivery of freight
- Record all pertinent information on transport of freight including time of departure, delivery, etc.
- Conduct safety interviews with the driver to include: post accident MVA Reports, workers compensation after accident interviews/reports, notice of violations interviews with drivers and road observation discussions with drivers
- Conduct safety training as needed following accidents, a workers compensation incident, road observations and notices of violations
- Regular attendance is required
- This is not an all-inclusive list of job requirements and/or duties and may not contain all capabilities necessary to perform the job at all times due to circumstances; Operational, safety and other needs may require the employee to perform any and all other duties as assigned; Employees are expected, and must be able to perform all such duties and tasks
- High School Diploma or General Educational Degree (GED), or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background. Bachelor Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience preferred
- Knowledge of all aspects of an LTL terminal
- Must have good computer skills (AS/400 & MS Office a plus)
- Must have strong leadership skills including the ability to hire, coach, counsel, train, mentor and terminate employees
- Some travel required
- Possess excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Knowledge of hazardous materials preferred
- Must have a strong work ethic and good problem solving skills
- Must be willing to work 50 hours/ week average
- Must be able to work any shift including nights and /or weekends and in any weather condition
- Must be able to comply with all company policies, rules, procedures and Code of Conduct
- Must be able to interact well with others
- Must be able to work independently, or in a team setting
- Must be capable of working under tight time constraints in a high volume environment with multiple priorities
- Must be able to lift approximately 10-15 lbs., or more if required by the essential functions of the job
- Responds well to questions; Ability to read, interpret and comply with written information and documents such as safety rules, operations / procedure manuals and maintenance instructions with a high comprehension and concentration level to include the ability to meet deadlines
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, random drug and/or alcohol tests, and will be subject to a criminal history background check
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to fingers, handle, or feel or operate computers and other standard office equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, lift, twist, turn and reach with hands and arms. The employee must be capable of lifting a minimum of 20 lbs., or more if required by the essential functions of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee may be required to work in high/precarious places, with hazardous materials, and in various weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to loud as required by the essential functions of the job.