Atlantic Health System is seeking a Lead Coding Specialist for Health Information Management (HIM) at Overlook Medical Center to work from 8 AM to 4 PM.
Conducts Coding Compliance Audits:
- Utilizes Clintegrity Coding Compliance software to identify charts for review on a daily basis.
- Reviews charts and gives feedback to coders regarding areas of discrepancy.
- Identifies areas for improvement and organizes in-service training.
- Inputs information into Clintegrity software to report coding trends and documentation issues.
- Conducts other audits as requested by Corporate Compliance office and provides reports as required
New Coder Education:
- Works with Supervisor to help educate new staff members on coding practices and procedures. Reviews charts of new staff and gives feedback on areas of discrepancy. Communicates with Supervisor regarding progress of new staff.
Coding and Abstracting:
- Reads and interprets medical record documentation to determine the appropriate ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnosis and procedure codes necessary to calculate a DRG for the purpose of hospital reimbursement. Additionally, codes appropriate CPT-4 codes for SDS and ED cases.
- Abstracts appropriate information into EPIC, checking for accuracy of demographic information (ie-admission and discharge dates, discharge status, transfer codes, attending physician).
- Assures that correct MIDS information is also abstracted.
- Assists with EPIC/3M upgrades and testing scenarios.
- Performs chart audits as part of the Denials Management process and tracks findings in Cobius.
- Ensures LCD information is current and corrected on a routine basis.
- Assists the PFS department with any claims issues to ensure that proper billing is facilitated.
- Works with the Registration department to ensure data integrity on patient information.
- Attends and assists with Performance Improvement initiatives when needed.
- Performs other duties assigned by management.
- Understands and meets the requirements of the Corporate Compliance Program and complies with the standards set by department policy, CMS and other regulatory agencies.
- Proficiently engages the 3M Encoder through EPIC to ensure proper coding and sequencing.
- Accurately abstracts all information in EPIC to reflect correct UB 92 data.
- Correctly refers to EPIC when appropriate for coding purposes.
- Will assist in in management functions in the absence of the Coding Supervisor, as assigned by department manager and/or supervisor.
- Basic light office duty.
Required and/or Education/Experience:
- RHIA, RHIT, or CCS preferred.
Atlantic Health System aims to deliver the highest quality care combined with the best experience for our patients and their families. We are confident that you will find success within Atlantic Health System, which has been named for the 12th year in a row to Fortune's "Top 100 Best U.S. Companies to Work For" list. We believe you'll find that our culture of collaboration and care exemplifies the value we place on our patients, their families and our employees.
Atlantic Health System, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and therefore abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, or veteran status.