Job ID 00000197017 Date posted 06/19/2020 Location Albuquerque, New Mexico Company The Boeing Company
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you'll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense Space & Security, is seeking an Experienced Optical Engineer to support the development of electro-optical systems at the Starfire Optical Range on Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. This engineer would work as part of a multidisciplinary team supporting the development, optimization and maintenance of telescopes, adaptive optics and imaging systems. The engineer should have knowledge of a broad range of optics including imaging, illumination, radiometry and photometry, physical and geometric optics, polarization.
- Develops and validates requirements for various optical systems and components.
- Develops architectures to integrate systems and components into higher level systems and platforms.
- Performs trade studies, modeling, simulation and other forms of analysis to predict component, interconnects and system performance and to optimize design around established requirements.
- Defines and conducts tests to validate performance of designs to requirements.
- Manages appropriate aspects of supplier and partner performance to ensure compliance to requirements. Provides support to products throughout their lifecycle by developing root-cause analysis of anomalies and other engineering support as requested.
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship. A final U.S. Top Secret clearance Post Start is required.
Basic Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
- Experience in designing electro-optical systems.
- Experience working with electro optics, including lasers (CW, Pulse), frequency metrology, laser stabilization, electro-optics, opto-mechanics, optical cavities, and/or offset locking.
- Experience in setting up and characterizing optical systems with basic optical laboratory equipment.
- Experience in experimental data acquisition, instrumentation, and analysis.
- Experience working with programming languages (e.g., C++, Java, Matlab).
- Ability to support varying work shifts, from day to night.
- Preferred an active U.S. Top Secret security clearance.
- Experience with Telescopes, Adaptive optics, wave-front sensing and/or atmospheric physics (turbulence).
- Experience with optical modeling software packages like Zemax and FRED.
- Experience with integration and performance analysis of class 4 laser systems.
- Experience in quantum optics.
- PhD in Optical Engineering/Optical Sciences or Physics with an emphasis in applied Optical Engineering.
Typical Education & Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience. In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Diversity & Inclusion:
At the highest level, diversity and inclusion are part of Boeing's values. Having diverse employees, business partners and community relationships is vital to creating advanced aerospace and defense products and services for our diverse customers around the world. The company's commitment to diversity means providing a work environment for all employees that is welcoming, respectful and engaging, with opportunities for personal and professional development.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Apply Now Save JobRemove from Saved Jobs