There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Please only apply to this job if you have been invited by a GM Recruiter
General Motors is searching for a Die Maker Journeyperson with Mold Making experience. Working under minimal supervision, the Die Maker Journeyperson is responsible for working with plastic injection molds, working from detailed designs to build and repair molds to company standards and must be willing to work ANY shift.
- Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures. Maintain a safe and healthy work practice by observing safety procedures and practices
- Is accountable for high-quality, timely and cost-effective results, without compromising the integrity, safety and quality of work
- Read blueprints to perform die and or mold repair/fabrication
- Root cause analysis, problem solving skills to promote efficiency & quality
- Follow the work order system, including capture and print work orders in the Maximo system, perform the following instructions order filling and posting progress specifying the order in the die/mold daily
- Perform die/mold repair, using mills, lathes and grinders as well as hand tools
- Make in-press repairs of dies/molds
- Utilize measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, to repair/fabricate dies and working in close tolerances'
- Drive a hi-lo and/or operate overhead crane to transport dies as well as other heavy equipment
- Experience with implementation of Engineering Changes
- Basic computer skills
- Properly troubleshoot production defects and eliminate all possible causes for production downtime
- Proof of 6 years related experience.
- Minimum (2) years' experience in a Production stamping or Injection molding facility
Additional Job Description
Tool & Die Requirements
- Experience relative to medium to small Transfer Dies or medium to large Progressive Dies
- Execution of engineering changes and improvements in the tools for customer complaints
Mold Maker Requirements
- Ability to determine best methods and procedures to determine causes of mold defects, as well as correct and preventative actions
- Knowledge of typical mold functions
- Knowledge and understanding of plastic processing requirements for molds such as venting, heating, cooling and polishing
- Familiarity with hot runner function, basic maintenance and troubleshooting techniques like probe tip cleaning removal and reworking basic electrical, troubleshooting of probes, heaters, thermal couples and manifolds
- Understanding different plastic types & the flow characteristic of each type
- Understanding the impact of injection pressure on the molding surfaces and components
Interested individuals must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- U.S. Department of Labor Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate in Die Maker trade or six (6) years of documented experience as an Die Maker (notarized documentation required)
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements which include comprehensive assessments, hair drug testing, and a background check
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work all shifts and overtime as required (including Sundays) to maintain all Plant functions relative to the Tool Room, such as, but not limited to: Program Launch, die repairs, engineering change timing to customer dates/requirements, etc.
General Motors UAW hourly employment offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package. An annual incentive payout is also available, as qualified.
Relocation and travel expenses will be the responsibility of the applicant.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.