This position has access to and knowledge of extremely sensitive, private and confidential materials. Ability to maintain the highest standard is required with zero tolerance.
All the primary duties within this document will be performed according to established policies, procedures and guidelines within the department and the Medical Center.
Employee works under the supervision of the pharmacist. As directed, provides assistance to pharmacists by profiling medications and products, preparing and delivering these products, and maintaining adequate inventory of stock and supplies. Employee must be proficient at accessing and viewing pharmacy electronic information systems and pharmacy automated systems. Employee will work in multiple areas of the pharmacy, as directed, to maintain competency and broaden skills for all areas of the job scope.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Demonstrates proficiency in the following skill sets: Triage/IV Premix, Automated Pre-Packing Machine, Automated Dispensing Cabinets, Basic & Advanced Outpatient Pharmacy, Non-Sterile Compounding, Basic Direct Patient Care and Basic OR.
- Training and proficiency will be obtained in the following skill sets: Advanced OR, IV Preparation/ Total Parenteral Nutrition, Advanced Direct Patient Care and Chemotherapy.
- Assists in medication preparation by selecting, counting, compounding, packaging, delivering and labeling per established departmental guidelines.
- Triages telephone calls in the pharmacy. Assists customers at the pharmacy window.
- Processes patient charges and credits as needed.
- Maintains appropriate levels of stock and supplies in dispensing areas. This includes prepackaging or assembly of all types of medications for future dispensing.
- Performs all operations of pharmacy automated systems.
- Performs all basic operations in the outpatient pharmacy including basic computer skills, filling prescriptions and operating the cash register.
- Demonstrates proficiency in pharmacy computer systems.
- Performs pharmacy and medication unit inspections.
- Checks in the medication order, puts the order into pharmacy stock, and delivers floor stock to patient care areas in the hospital.
- Assists in the training and mentoring of new pharmacists, technicians, students, and residents. Provides evaluation feedback on training performance.
- Performs other pharmacy-related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Licensure / Certifications: National Pharmacy Technician Certification (PTCB) is required. Registration with the NC Board of Pharmacy within 90 days of hire date.
- Experience: One year experience as a pharmacy technician at NHRMC or four years of hospital pharmacy experience which included IV and Chemotherapy training or graduate of ASHP accredited pharmacy technology associates program