POSITION INFORMATION: Under limited supervision, provides social services including counseling, intervention, support, discharge planning, referrals, and psychosocial evaluations. May supervise other social work staff and health providers.
- Patient Assessment. Conducts evaluations with inpatients and outpatients to ascertain treatment objectives and collect information pertinent to diagnosis, care, and navigation through the service systems. Manages complex patient population through the system including inpatient and outpatient settings. Conducts high risk case findings and provides crisis counseling to patients, families or caregivers.
- Data Collection. Develops a patient's and new applicant's social history with a social assessment. Presents findings and recommendations to providers involved in patient care. Maintains data on numbers of patients or applicants served and the types of services provided. May prepare statistics to include but not limited to referrals, extended stay, patient care outcomes, and other concerns.
- Referrals. Provides liaison service, support, and referrals to hospital resources and community agencies. Acts as a patient advocate for issues related to decision making, end-of-life care, realistic goal setting and resolution of ethical dilemmas.
- Program Assessment and Recommendation. Participates in staff conferences to identify appropriate decision maker(s) if patient is without capacity, educating all in patient's rights and encouraging participation in decision making and care. Ensures psychosocial issues are addressed and complex discharge or other needs are effectively managed and completed.
- Activities. Participates in clinic or service line activities, i.e., consultation teams, collaborative practice meetings, outpatient clinic, Ethics Committee, quality improvement, and organ donor awareness events.
- Policies. Complies with all federal and state regulations and university policy. Complies with medical and legal reporting standards. Documents medical records and/or case notes and educates other professionals with reporting responsibilities.
- Counseling. Provides therapeutic interventions to patients and develops collaborative treatment plans. Monitors patient outcomes with regard to therapeutic goals. Provides behavioral interventions to support patient change. Develops and facilitates patient support groups. Provides supportive counseling for the patient's family and/or caregiver. Documents counseling services appropriately in EMR per billing standards.
- Crisis Intervention. Conducts high social risk case findings and provides crisis counseling to patients and families regarding vulnerable adult or child abuse or neglect, physical abuse and documents during the sessions. Provides assessment and intervention on situations of suicidal or self-harm and refers to appropriate level of care.
- Goals. Assists with department goal setting cost containment and ensures clinics maintain quality and meet financial goals. Submits production goal data to management, which includes billable services information. Utilizes available information to evaluate the effectiveness of services provided in producing the desired outcomes and makes adjustments in patient care.
- Projects. Participates in Q.I. projects, which may affect patient outcomes when concerned with behavior health measures or social determinants of health. May prepare statistics, analysis, and evaluate concerning referrals, extended stay, and other information.
- Instructs. Instructs staff, medical students, residents, other health professionals, and community on the integration of behavioral health into the clinical practice, social determinants of health, mental health and substance abuse disorders. Serves as subject matter expert regarding social work and healthcare.
- Supervision. May supervise social work staff and related health professionals.
- As Needed. Performs duties as needed to successfully fulfill the functions of the positions.
Education: Master's Degree in Social Work
Experience: 36 months social work experience in an outpatient or inpatient setting
Certification/License: Current Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) from the Oklahoma State Board of Licensed Social Workers. Credentialed provider with OU Physicians and/or OUMI to be obtained within 30 days of the hire date in this position. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification to be obtained within 30 days of the hire date in this position.
Excellent communication skills.
Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of social and psychological casework.
Advanced knowledge of Medicare and Medicaid laws and guidelines, managed care contracts and other legal and regulatory requirements.
Advanced knowledge of community resources to maximize benefits to the patient.
Ability to identify and pursue opportunities to enhance knowledge of programs, articles, education, or community projects.
Ability to analyze and interpret a situation in order to determine a course of action to be taken.
Ability to identify opportunities to improve the quality of the social services.
Ability to research and provide information, consultation, and professional support to team members.
- Ability to explain technical data to patients, family members or caregivers.
- Experience as a Social Worker in a healthcare environment.
- Experience in adult or children's behavioral healthcare.