Responsibilities for this Position
Job ID: 2020-16347
of Openings: 42
Category: Piping Trades
EB Quonset Point Facility
Have you ever wanted to be part of something that truly matters?
Do you have a desire to help our Military?
Are you someone who takes pride in their work?
At General Dynamics Electric Boat - We deliver the advantage that protects Our Sailors, Our Families, and Our Freedom!
Applying for a position with General Dynamics Electric Boat means you are a purpose driven collaborator that will be devoted to our mission of providing the United States Navy with the most superior nuclear submarines in the world. We consider all highly motivated applicants that strive to reach their fullest potential. Joining our team means you become part of a 100 year legacy of dedicated Americans that have left their mark on the continued freedom of this great country. We welcome you the opportunity to leave yours!
General Dynamics Ethos & Corporate Responsibility
- Commitment to Ethics
- Commitment to Employees
- Supporting Service Members
- Supporting Communities
- Environmental Responsibility
Pipefitters fabricate and install the piping systems that will carry the ship's liquids and gasses at various pressures. Pipefitters use measurement, fit-up bending, and installation skills and techniques to comply with tight tolerances. Familiarity with pipe bending requirements, bolting and welding pipe hangers to support systems & pipe detail fabrication is helpful. Duties include:
- Pipe fit-up which may involve welded joints, silver brazed joints or mechanically fastened joints
- Working with very small tubing to very large diameter piping
- Working with various systems including hydraulic, lube oil, high and low pressure air, high and low pressure steam, sea water, chilled water, and potable water
- Grooming systems to prepare for Company, Navy and Government inspections
- Cutting pipe using saws and pipe cutters and fit pipe using consumable inserts
- Cleaning and maintaining cleanliness of piping components
- Must possess basic mathematical skills
Must be able to work all shifts, heights, confined spaces and extreme temperature conditions as required
- Some lifting will be required
- Applicant must be able to interpret technical manuals, shipyard procedures, test documents, blueprints, diagrams, and perform basic layout functions
- Individuals are required to possess their own basic hand tools
- Previous Pipefitting, plumbing, HVAC experience or training
Previous experience working in the construction industry or a manufacturing environment
Previous metal fabrication experience and military shipbuilding experience
High school diploma/GED preferred; additional preference given for Vocational, Technical and Community Colleges or Apprentice programs
- Related Military/Navy experience preferred