State of Franklin Healthcare Associates is currently seeking a FULL-TIME PATIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE to be part of our Medical Specialist of Johnson City team.
Provides patient service and support in the daily administrative activities of a medical office including patient check in/check out, telephone coverage and other clerical duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greets patients and welcomes them to the office in a polite and friendly manner.
- Reviews demographic, insurance and provider information with patients at every visit and updates records as necessary.
- Ensures new patients complete all required paperwork and creates a new account in the computer system.
- Obtains a copy of the patient's insurance card and driver license.
- Completes population health data elements and processes.
- Updates electronic medical record system (EMR), takes patient's photograph, scans and indexes documents.
- Provides patient with SoFHA payment and privacy policies and answers any patient questions.
- Prints encounter form for the patient.
- Refers the patient to the Patient Account Representative when flagged, when the patient has a delinquent balance or upon arrival of patient on initial visit if it is a Worker's Compensation or liability case.
- Informs patients about delays and wait times.
- Escalates any unusual patient behavior to supervisor or clinical staff as appropriate.
- Greets patients and addresses them in a polite and friendly manner.
- Schedules return appointments as designated on patient encounter form.
- Reviews the patient encounter form to ensure it has been accurately completed.
- May verify charges and orders in EMR, distribute clinical summary and change patient status to check out.
- Determines the patient's responsibility for the services rendered.
- Collects the appropriate amount noting the payment on the patient encounter form and provides the patient with a receipt.
- Refers patients to the Patient Account Representative if the patient requests payment arrangements or has a question regarding the account balance.
- Balances cash drawer.
- May prepare banking deposits and close out credit card machines for the day.
- May prepare encounter forms and send them to Central Billing Office.
- Answers, screens and routes calls to appropriate individuals.
- Records and routes messages appropriately.
- Schedules, coordinates and reschedules patient appointments.
- May call to remind patients of their appointments or print clientele report to verify confirmed appointments, calling those who did not respond.
- Maintains clinic Provider scheduling guidelines as directed by Provider and/or supervisor.
- Responds to emergency calls according to established procedure.
- Answers general insurance and billing questions.
- Performs other administrative duties such as locking/unlocking doors or front office windows, opening/distributing mail, typing, filing, faxing and collecting documents to be shredded, forwarding phones to the day/evening setting, etc.
- Compiles information and prepares reports.
- Maintains records.
- Participates in educational activities.
- Follows organizational policies and procedures, including State of Franklin Healthcare Associates Compliance Manual, Code of Ethics and Business Standards, HR Policies and Procedures Manual, Team Member Handbook, OSHA Manual and any other policies or procedures for the job function, department, location or clinic.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent and knowledge of grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are required.
Previous experience in a medical office or customer service position is desirable. Basic knowledge of insurance and billing procedures, including ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS coding is desired as applicable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Service: Demonstrates high standards of service to patients, physicians, team members and other departments; remains calm when faced with challenging or difficult situations; effectively resolves service issues.
Quality: Work is thorough and accurate; offers ideas and solutions to improve outcomes and enhance service; considers the situation and relevant information before taking action; effectively implements improvements.
Integrity: Acts with the highe