Provides care in a medical practice office or clinic under the direction of a provider. Maintains a clean and safe environment, provide patient care and provide patients with information. Provides mentoring for Level I Medical Assistants in the same physician office. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in The Methodist Mission, Vision and Values.
High School graduate or GED equivalent.
Minimum 2 years of experience working in a medical facility as a Medical Assistant or other similar health care experience.
Current certification as a Medical Assistant through one of the following:
American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Health Career Association (NHA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), National Association of Health Professionals (NAHP),
Registered as a Medical Assistant (RMA), American Registry of Medical Assistants.
Effective June 1, 2018: New Hires and Transfers are required to have current AHA "Heartsaver" Certification.
Graduate of an accredited medical assisting program.
Two years' experience working in an MLH facility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work with patients, patient families and physicians in a tactful and professional manner.
- Satisfactorily completes applicable competency assessments and skills checklist for Level 2; demonstrates proficiency in all measured areas.
- Ability to begin the patient visit with eye contact, smile and greeting, while using the patient's name.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team. Successful completion of assigned training and development programs for the role within the mandated time frame.
- Performs computer skills demonstrated by successful navigation of the EMR with appropriate documentation. Demonstrates ability to review computer reports following evidenced based guidelines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in motivational interviewing and teach back method techniques.
- Ability to act quickly in emergency situations.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Proactively fulfills patient care responsibilities as requested by physician or other clinicians in the physician office.
- Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned that may include setting up exam room, instruments, and other equipment.
- Fulfills clinical medical assisting responsibilities as required.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: medium work - exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 25 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity including color, depth perception, and field of vision to perform an activity, such as assessing patients, preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- Frequent invasive and non-invasive patient contact.
- Exposure to patient body fluids as well as exposure to hazardous or poisonous materials.