This position reports directly to the BYU Law School's Assistant Dean of External Relations. The primary responsibility of this position is to strengthen the BYU Law community, including working with the BYU Law Alumni Chapter "Alumni Chapter") and the J. Reuben Clark Law Society ("Clark Law Society") to fulfill their respective missions, cultivating and strengthening relationships with donors, and connecting and communicating with external constituencies.
Develop and strengthen relationships within the BYU Law community (20%)
- Participate in board and committee meetings of the Clark Law Society and Alumni Chapter (e.g., Alumni Executive Committee, Law Society Operations Committee) as requested by the Assistant Dean of External Relations or the Law Society's Executive Director.
- Act as a liaison in relations between BYU, the Clark Law Society, and the Alumni Chapter; serve as a stabilizing and synergistic influence in interactions within and between these organizations.
- Foster connections between members of the Alumni Chapter and the Clark Law Society with current BYU Law students and faculty, including administering the Alumni Allies program.
- Work with volunteer leaders and external relations coworkers to enhance existing content and programs, as well as to develop new initiatives and projects.
Direct and support Alumni Chapter and Law Society events (20%)
- Participate in strategic planning of events as requested.
- Identify and coordinate the use of BYU resources (e.g. communications and social media, technology support, event planning, graphic design, facilities, payments and finance, etc.) as needed to support events.
- Attend and facilitate events to ensure high-quality execution.
- Collect and analyze data related to activities and events.
- Update and utilize event checklists to ensure seamless team coordination.
Manage communications for Alumni Chapter and the Clark Law Society (20%)
- Create and edit current, relevant, and engaging website content for the Alumni pages and the Clark Law Society site.
- Post content and train other team members and volunteers to post.
- Design and distribute promotional materials for Alumni and Clark Law Society events.
- Write and distribute mass emails, including the monthly newsletters for each organization and leadership messages.
- Manage mass email databases.
- Develop and post content for other distribution channels such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Steward Current Law School Donors and Cultivate New Donors (15%)
- Participate in the Law School's development efforts as directed by the Assistant Dean of External Relations, including:
- Establishing and maintaining positive, lasting relationships with donors.
- Assisting in maintaining meaningful communication with donors and potential donors.
- Developing programs and campaigns to promote contributions.
- Enhancing a culture of giving, engagement, generosity, and gratitude among current law students and law alumni.
Undertake special projects as directed by the Assistant Dean of External Relations (10%)
Supervise, support, and mentor part-time/student employees (10%)
Assist with and ensure the success of the BYU Law Civics Camp (5%)
- Commitment to the mission and aims of the Law School and the University.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively to groups including law students, alumni, and potential donors.
- Experience and proficiency in establishing strong, high-trust relationships with alumni, faculty, administration, and friends of the Law School.
- Professional integrity and excellent judgment.
- Sensitivity with confidential records and information. Ability to work independently, and to direct others when required.
- Proficiency with standard office software (especially Google Apps)
- Tech-savvy, efficient project manager with willingness to learn/utilize new technology and tools. Experience with Wordpress and Mailchimp is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Juris Doctorate strongly preferred.
- 1-2 years of professional experience required; 3-5 years of professional experience preferred.
Employee Class: 3/4 Time (28 hour)
Work Location: Provo Campus
Environment: General office or other equivalently good environment
Desired Start Date: July 15, 2020
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
Documents Required at time of Application:
Required: Resume, cover letter
Equal Opportunity Employer: m/f/vets/disability