Position Summary: Substation Technician C is a non-exempt position on the construction, maintenance and repair of substation equipment / systems. Substation Technician C has a 2-4 year working knowledge of 525 kv and below substation equipment, apparatus, and wiring. This position requires work in confined spaces and elevated work areas, and works with various pieces of construction equipment specific to the trade. A Substation Technician C may work independently or with others and occasionally work long hours during emergency conditions. This position works at various locations. The position may also be required to travel to another state depending on customer demands.
- Works safely while performing construction, maintenance or repair, testing, adjusting and troubleshooting of substation equipment/systems. This work which includes, but is not limited to, work involving the following:
- Concrete Foundations, ground grids, and steel erection
- Buswork (High and Low Voltage)
- Airbreak / Hookstick Switches
- Control Cable
- Terminations (High / Low Voltage)
- Control Buildings
- Conduit and duck banks
- Capacitor bank installations 23kv- 230 kv
- Transformers, regulators and circuit breakers
- Circuit Switchers, motor-operated and manual switches
- Responsible for maintaining Company vehicles, test equipment and tools in good working conditions.
- Frequently works with energized high voltage systems requiring skill and care to protect the lives of themselves and others.
- Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
- Must be capable of climbing and working at heights up to 125 feet above ground.
- Must possess or be capable of obtaining a Commercial Drivers' License.
- Must supply own personal hand tools required by the company for this work.
- Must supply own safety toed work boots.
- Must be capable of lifting in excess of 50 lbs.
- Must be capable of working in confined spaces/areas.
- Must be able to work independently or with others.
- Must be capable of learning to operate various types of heavy equipment :
- Bucket, derrick and boom trucks
- Backhoes, excavators and skid steer loaders
- Articulating Man-lifts
- Pressure Diggers
- Track Crawler Loader/Backhoe
Rough Terrain Telescopic Forklifts
- Willing to work over-time or long hours during emergency conditions and/or when requested. Schedules can change frequently and with short notice.
- 90% Travel Required
- Capable of following Company safety rules and policies.
- Must gain knowledge of construction standard practices, techniques, quality requirements, applicable codes and standards.
- Must be capable of working in close proximity of energized substation equipment.
- Knowledge of substation structural drawings (i.e. elevations, plan views, section views, grounding details, and foundation plans).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle and feel; and reach with hands and arms.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. This position is performed in outside weather conditions.
- Emphasis on Safety
- Customer Oriented
- Trust worthy
- Professionalism demonstrated through unwavering reliability and punctuality
- Good appearance and attitudes
- High productivity work ethics
- Well developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Receptive to constructive instruction/coaching
Pike is a Non-union Company
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.