We're invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defense, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It's our challenge as human beings, too. That's why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships. It's our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges, and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Design your career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed –today and into tomorrow.
Must be able to quickly become familiar with all aspects of the operation of a large low-speed aeroacoustics wind tunnel and perform all duties related to a facility safety head (FSH) position.
Aeroacoustics wind tunnel operations responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Safe operation of facility to preclude facility and test article damage and/or injury to personnel;
- Maintaining configuration control of all facility systems;
- Review and approve all facility designs & modifications, test procedures and revisions;
- Approve training records and the facility resume;
- Provide control of safety interlock systems;
- Conduct monthly safety meetings and quarterly inspections;
- Represent facility to NASA and contractor safety programs;
- Monitor and insure the proper use of safety permits when necessary;
- Serve as facility environmental coordinator, etc.; and
- Potentially serve as the alternate FSH for one or more other test facilities at LaRC.
The test facility often requires use of specific systems, media, and test techniques to produce one-off approaches to solve complex problems associated with model integration, measurement application, and operational configurations. Safety must be integrated into all operations, which may utilize these and other systems:
- High pressure air (electrically heated);
- High pressure gases;
- High pressure hydrocarbon based liquid/gaseous fuels;
- Large rotating machinery operated by variable frequency drives;
- Electrically driven propeller systems rotating at very high RPMs;
- High voltage, both AC and DC;
- Pressurized quartz lamps; and
- High energy laser-based measurement systems
US Citizenship required. BS degree from an accredited engineering school and five (5) to eight (8) years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree and four (4) to six (6) years of related engineering experience, or Ph.D. school and zero (0) to three (3) years of related experience. Strong background in facility system and environmental safety and in mechanical and electrical system analysis required. Familiarity with aeronautics, NASA operations, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Root Cause Analysis, personnel training and configuration management desired.
Test environment - May be exposed to areas of high noise levels, local/isolated hazards, hazardous materials and chemicals, and active, dormant and in-process of build-up industrial facilities (50%).
Office environment – (40%)
Travel between various facilities and during test operations required and may bring exposure to loud noise and potentially hazardous equipment operations (10%)
Visual and physical (hands on) contact of test related systems, hardware and articles.
Must be able to walk, stand, bend, twist and sit for extended periods as well as climb, crawl, and lift up to 35 lbs).
Ability to distinguish basic colors.
Corrected vision and hearing at all times.
Must be able to use the following (with appropriate training/certifications and personal protective equipment provided)
Platform or A-frame ladders up to 12 Ft.
Extension ladders up to 24 Ft.
Personal or one man aerial lifts up to 30 Ft.
Articulating or boom aerial lifts up to 35 Ft.
Equipment and Machines:
Standard office equipment (PC, MS Office Suite or equivalent, telephone, fax, etc).
Safety and personal protective equipment.
Drive a car (defensive driving training provided).
Regular attendance mandatory (100%).
Occasional overtime/work outside normal schedule may be required (<20%).</font>
Other Essential Functions:
U. S. citizenship is required. Valid driver's license is required. Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation. Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others. Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance as required. CMOE employees will exercise diligence when developing a Safe Plan of Action (SPA) for each task performed. (The SPA is a Company provided tool to be used for the prevention of incidents, accidents and injuries.)