Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry. Our mission is to transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste. The industry is huge and so is the opportunity to change the way freight moves.
The next time you're out driving and see an 18-wheeler on the road, that truck is empty 35% of the time. When big trucks drive empty, they throw unnecessary CO2 into the atmosphere. In fact, empty trucks generate more than 76 million metric tons of wasted carbon emissions every year. At Convoy, our digital freight network helps reduce those empty miles and cut carbon waste by nearly half.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help move the world forward.
The Data Science team is at the core of Convoy's business. We build the models that power freight pricing, shipment offer relevance, auction bidding strategy, and other core services. The breadth of the problems space is huge, spanning machine learning, optimization, metric definition, econometrics, and prediction domains. And we have only begun to dig into the difficult and diverse problems in our two-sided marketplace.
At Convoy you will be expected to work autonomously and own your domain end-to-end. You will collaborate with Research Scientists, Product Managers, and Engineers across the Product organization and interact with stakeholders across the company. You will be responsible for defining core business logic in our data warehouse, developing insights to drive product decisions, and building data science models.
Optimizing our network of carriers is core to Convoy's mission to automate the logistics industry. Today, we use machine learning, economic analysis, and operations research to figure out freight prices, shipment relevance for carriers, auction bidding strategy, and other internal processes. However, we've only begun to scratch the surface of possibilities across our transportation network - efficient load bundling, predicting carrier preferences, and fleet optimization are new frontiers that are central to Convoy's success.
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join Convoy's Marketplace organization to tackle critical problems such as:
- What is the opportunity size for optimization, given our current shipment and carrier network? How can we increase it?
- What are the right metrics for measuring the economic value of our optimization efforts?
- How should we evolve our efforts to make carriers more efficient?
This role has the potential to unlock significant value for the company as we double down on the fundamental algorithms at the heart of our business. If you're curious minded and are interested in joining a company that is pushing the envelope of data science, join us.
We're looking for someone who has:
- Minimum of 5+ years of industry experience in BI or Data Scientist - Analytics roles
- SQL fluency
- ETL pipeline experience
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as R or Python
- Ability to break down high level business problems into concrete analytical solutions
- Strong communication and keen attention to detail
Nice to haves:
- MS in economics/econometrics, statistics, computer science, operations research, a natural science or equivalent quantitative subject
- Experience in Data Visualization with Tableau or similar software
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you're a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we'd love to hear from you!