The West Virginia University Health Promotion and Wellness Department is seeking applications for a Program Director. This position is responsible for managing daily project activities, coordinating with project leaders, maintaining project records, and ensuring timely and effective implementation and evaluation of the projects.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Oversee Health Promotion and Wellness activities and initiatives.
- Maintain budget and day-to-day health promotion and wellness activities and initiatives.
- Maintain project records.
- Coordinate communication and meetings with internal and external collaborators.
- Inform VP for Health Promotion and Wellness about progress, milestones and barriers to project implementation.
- Promote wider public recognition, awareness, and support of WVU Health Promotion and Wellness services, activities and achievements. This should include a long-term strategic view of WVU Health Promotion and Wellness goals and mission, and communications strategies to inform the public and other audiences of these goals and achievements.
- Serve as contributing writer and assist with the planning, development, production and assessment of communications in all media. Develop multimedia content, including digital video, audio and still photography.
- Maintain regular and frequent contact with sources in the university, hospital, clinics, departments, and centers to solicit relevant information to highlight and promote WVU Health Promotion achievements through distribution of news releases, opinion pieces, Web features and other communication vehicles. This would include soliciting and reviewing campus documents, specialized journals and newsletters and conducting person-to-person interviews to develop written copy meeting institutional marketing/communication objectives.
- Demonstrate the capacity to understand the significance of health promotion and wellness, and places information before faculty, staff and the public in an accessible and compelling form. Coordinate with other communicators from across the University and WVU Healthcare to achieve this goal.
- Participate in planning special events that have communication needs and public relations/marketing impact.
- Develop and direct clear communication strategies and messages, maintaining consistency with WVU brand.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in a relevant field;
Three (3) years of increasingly responsible operational and administrative experience related to management of programs;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three (3) years of experience:
- Working effectively with diverse community partners, faculty, staff and students within a complex university or community-based organization is required.
- Working in a news, communication, marketing, advertising, or public relations program for a healthcare organization, college, news media organization, government agency, business, or other large knowledge-based organization; Or
- Interviewing, writing, and editing; Or
- Working in media relations.
- Ability to work effectively with University and Community stakeholders, building and maintaining engaging relationships.
- Knowledge of activity-based wellness programs based on research, data and evidence-based results.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship development and community engagement skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and execute programs and events.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically to identify opportunities and maximize resources.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities and/deadlines.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Proficient in Word and Excel.
- Strong technical, database management and program evaluation skills.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing. skills are essential including ability to present concepts verbally.
- Ability to create marketing pieces in a variety of media and formats.
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management.
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills.