20-21 Building Substitute (Immediate) - #19503217
Note: we currently have two building substitute openings across KIPP Texas Austin at the following locations:
- KIPP Austin Comunidad Primary in North Austin, supporting across grades K-4
- KIPP Paseo Prep in Southeast Austin, supporting 5th and 6th grades
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a nonprofit public charter school network, dedicated to preparing students in educationally underserved communities for college success and choice-filled lives. Today, KIPP Texas operates 59 public charter schools educating over 31,100 students across four regions – Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
KIPP Texas's Building Substitute teachers are responsible for partnering with the classroom teacher to ensure that every KIPP Texas student achieves the academic skills, intellectual habits and character traits necessary to succeed in the nation’s top colleges and universities. Substitute Teachers will also consistently reinforce the importance of character building by helping students to exhibit strong decision-making capabilities, personal responsibility and healthy interpersonal relationships. Ideal Building Substitute Teachers will also seek to be part of the community, embrace the culture displayed at KIPP Texas, and engage in the organization’s mission. These duties provide excellent training, preparation and practice for teaching at KIPP Texas.
As a KIPP Texas Public Schools Building Substitute, your core responsibilities include
- Execute academically rigorous lessons; following rubrics and administering assessments.
- Implement classroom management practices that are consistent with the culture of the school
- Develop an awareness of individual student’s progress and learning needs; relentless focus on helping students achieve educational greatness
- Willing to offer support to and receive constructive feedback from teachers and administration in order to create a professional working atmosphere that is conducive to change and improvement
- Help shape and develop a school-wide atmosphere that best suits the needs of our students, teachers, and families
- Communicate students’ progress toward realizing academic and character development goals with teachers.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working with students/children in an educational setting (after school program, student teaching, etc.)
- Experience teaching underserved students (preferred)
- Desire to become a KIPP Texas Teacher
- Experience working with English Language Learners (preferred)
- Unwavering commitment to KIPP Texas’s mission, students, families, and community
- Strong record of helping students achieve academic success, primarily with minority and low-income students
- Strong desire to teach an academically intense curriculum and commit to an extended school day, week, and year
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a teacher and professional; offer and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Texas students
Compensation and Benefits:
Building Substitute is a full-time, benefits eligible position and pays $30,000 per year.
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.