Director of Engineering - #19503330
We've got a pretty good thing going on here at OpenMarket. We're leaders of a mobile industry that's transforming the way customer-obsessed businesses communicate with their customers. Join our team: we're friendly, caring, weirdly tenacious, and fun.
The world's biggest brands seek us out because we love finding ways to help them make their customers' lives easier. This obsession with customer experience helps us develop software, technology, and processes that competitors all over the world desire.
We're seeking enthusiastic, collaborative, and resourceful people from a range of backgrounds who know how to get things done. Success comes from our culture, diversity, and dynamic global team. We value people who are authentic, take ownership, and deliver together. Does this sound like you?
About the Role
OpenMarket is looking for an experienced Director of Engineering who is passionate about leading product teams and building modern cloud applications that help the biggest brands in the world use mobile messaging to connect with their customers in the moments that count! You will partner closely with the Product Directors to lead our Channels Product Group with global teams located in both Seattle, WA and Guadalajara, Mexico.
- The OpenMarket platform reliably delivers ~7 billion messages a month peaking at 20,000 TPS to more than 200 countries:
- Mix of monolith apps and microservices with message data analysis and message flow orchestration.
- JVM applications deployed at scale across a multi-regional data center configuration.
- Java is the dominating programming language, with Python close behind.
- Use of open-source software e.g. Druid, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker, Netty, ZooKeeper, and more.
The platform is moving toward the cloud supporting elasticity for significant message volume growth with much higher peaks and multiple message channels:
- Cloud-native microservices and API-everything architecture.
- Serverless and multi-cloud are and will be a part of our future platform.
- Micro-front ends web with responsive, mobile first design plus native mobile app development.
- Many modern techniques, including Agile/Scrum and User-centered Design, CI/CD and DevSecOps practices.
What You'll Be Doing
- Build and lead high-performing product teams that thrive in an agile development environment with a strong DevOps culture.
- Develop strategies and roadmaps with multiple product teams and product groups to assure development cycles stay on time and are of the highest quality.
- Work closely with our UI/UX team to deliver high quality user experiences.
- Foster an environment of experimentation and continual improvement.
- Maximize team performance in an engineering setting, including coaching, consulting, and mentoring, through Servant Leadership
What to Bring
- 7+ years of experience in the technology space as a software engineer or product engineer.
- 3+ years of leadership experience; managing managers.
- Experience hiring high functioning teams, including recruiting, mentoring and retaining a diverse talent base.
- Ability to understand, communicate and improve the quality of multiple teams.
- A strong people management philosophy and agile mindset for managers and engineers.
Nice to Have
- Prior experience in a product company with high growth.
- Experience working on systems at massive (i.e. consumer) scale.
- Deep open source experience.
- Experience working and managing globally dispersed teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience required.
You'll Be a Great Fit If
- You love being a part of a small, dynamic, and agile team that encourages you to learn and grow.
- You desire to work with some of the world's top brands.
- You love finding solutions to interesting problems and figuring out how things work.
- You welcome having autonomy with complex tasks.
- You are passionate about using your experience and expertise to inspire the team.
This position is open in Seattle, WA.
Moderate travel needed (when permittable).
OpenMarket embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer.
We are unable to sponsor new U.S. work visas at this time.
Employment in this position may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and/or credit background investigation.