R&D Engineer - #19503333
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in over 50 countries. Reported sales in 2019 were $7.1 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
Avery Dennison is hiring a Research & Development (R&D) Engineer to lead and drive medical product developments from concept to commercialization. Projects include new product development and introduction, and maintenance of existing product lines. This role is part of our growing Medical business, which is one of our high value segments in Avery Dennison. You will work with the local R&D Manager for Avery Dennison Medical.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Job Functions:
- Translate product requirements into product specifications by selecting and testing appropriate materials, product designs, and manufacturing processes.
- Prepare technical documents fulfilling regulatory requirements for medical devices (e.g. 510k, CE mark).
- Understand and stay in sync with cGMP, ISO 13485, and FDA 21 CFR Part 820 regulations.
- Assist in the investigation of customer complaints and nonconformance as the need arises.
- Prepare project plans and decide timeline and resources for project.
- Support product maintenance, including raw material substitutions and line extensions.
- Follow a stage-gated New Product Development Process and/or Design Controls.
- Use internal and external specialists in network to accomplish goals.
- Conduct literature and patent searches.
- Work closely with design engineers.
- Work under general direction, independently identifying and developing approaches to solutions. Work is then reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Represent R&D within Avery Dennison and with outside customer contacts.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in biomedical, biomechanical, or chemical engineering, polymer science & Engineering, or related education is required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in new product development preferably with pressure sensitive adhesives and medical devices.
- Experience in the field of process development and validation.
- Experience working within a medical device quality system (e.g. ISO 13485).
- Consistent track record of successfully developed products.
- Ability to interface effectively with multi-functional groups to define and execute overall requirements.
- Independent problem solver, hands-on scientist, highly upbeat, great teammate, and proactive.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally on as needed basis.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you require accommodations to view or apply for a job, alternative methods are available to submit an application. Please contact 440.534.6080 or [email protected] to discuss reasonable accommodations.