Laser and Experimental Systems Engineering Undergraduate Summer Scholars - #19503342
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for continuing undergraduate scholars to engage in practical research, design, and analysis experience to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, computational engineering, or other related fields. This support may include (but is not limited to) optics processing, design engineering, data mining and analysis, motion control systems, optomechanical systems, electromechanical systems and mechatronics, or a various diagnostic systems (including x-ray, optical, and neutron).
These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations Division in support of the National Ignition Facility & Photon Sciences Directorate. These positions may be in Livermore or remote, depending on federal and local health and safety guidelines in the summer of 2021.
In this role you will
- Work with engineers, scientists, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research, design, and/or analytical support to projects in the areas of electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, optical engineering, computational engineering, or other related fields.
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Attend relevant seminars and prepare a poster for the annual Summer Poster Symposium.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university scholar in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in engineering, physics, optics, computer science, or a related field.
- Ability to apply basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Communication skills necessary to communicate research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work a team environment.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Apply Now Referral