Application Specialist, R&D - #19503490
Application Specialist, R&D
Who is Trinseo?
We are a global materials solutions provider and manufacturer of plastics, latex binders, and synthetic rubber. We are focused on delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to help our customers create products that touch lives every day — products that are intrinsic to how we live our lives — across a wide range of end-markets, including automotive, consumer electronics, appliances, medical devices, lighting, electrical, carpet, paper and board, building and construction, and tires.
Why work for us?
Our company's culture cannot be summarized in a poster on a wall, but rather it has been built over time, refined, and brought to life by the men and women that are Trinseo. Whether you step into one of our manufacturing facilities in the U.S., a research lab in Germany, or an office in China, every interaction with our employees provides an experience of what makes us so special.
Some of the values that comprise our corporate culture include community service, environmental safety, innovation, commitment to customers, and sustainability. While any company can claim these core values in a cheery, polished mission statement, our employees truly live these messages every day.
What is the position where you can add value?
We are actively recruiting for an Application Specialist, R&D for our Midland, MI location within our Binders Lab NAM reporting to our Laboratory Leader.
Position duties and responsibilities
- Conduct R&D lab work for the Paper & Board, Performance, & Flooring Latex business segments of the Emulsion Polymers business.
- Operate pilot equipment designed to simulate actual paper mill coating and finishing processes.
- Generate reliable and high quality data used for decision making by TS&D engineers and customers.
- Develops in-depth technical knowledge relevant to pilot coating and finishing capability & latex binders business.
- Utilize good laboratory practices to generate reliable and quality data; Document scientific findings; Interpret and analyze results.
- Maintain and calibrate lab equipment; Work safely with hazardous and non-hazardous materials.
- Conduct safety, housekeeping and environmental compliance tasks in support of the department and building EH&S programs.
What skills do you bring to the role?
- Required: Associates degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Biology, or related field.
- Preferred: Bachelor's of Science in Chemistry, Engineering, Biology, or related field.
- Required: Previous work experience in R&D environment.
- Preferred: Previous work experience in emulsion polymerization technology and laboratory environment
Ability and Knowledge
- Strong commitment to safety and environmental compliance.
- Apply scientific best practices to delivery timely and quality R&D results.
- Ability to acquire new skills quickly, work on urgent and multiple tasks.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and be self-motivated.
- Highly productive, self-sufficient, great problem solver, and superior time management skills.
- Ability to work with diverse team and changing work environment.
- Advanced office skills including Microsoft applications.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and ability to utilize stairs.