National Service Director - #19503590
Wounded Warrior Project
Great benefits. Competitive pay. We know these are some of the things people look for in a job.
But if you're the kind of person who also cares about making an impact and serving our nation's wounded warriors and their families, then you're exactly the kind of person we're looking for.
Change the life of someone who served their country, and join an organization that not only supports you, but empowers you to make that change a reality.
When you join the Wounded Warrior Project family, you're committing to making a difference. We make a commitment to you too – helping you to find that spark, ignite your passion to serve, and embark on a career with meaning and purpose.
A mission that matters is just the beginning, so if you're ready to get started, we're ready for you.
The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) National Service Director leads and develops a dedicated team to establish a national network of benefits professionals equally prepared to serve the needs of Warrior, family support member, and caregiver across the spectrum of Department of Defense (DoD), the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and both Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Veterans Benefits Administration (VHA) benefit claims and inquiries.
The National Service Director establishes priorities, sets, and enforces standards, and implements accountability measures to achieve consistent high quality, responsive, and professional service to Warriors.
The National Service Director serves to amplify the work of WWP Government and Community Relations' efforts in the National Capital Region by bolstering relationships with senior members of the VBA, VHA, DoD, other federal agencies, and National Service Officers of like-minded non-profits and for-profit organizations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review team, individual, and process data on a regular basis to determine progress, anticipate needs, and make necessary adjustments to personnel or processes.
- Examine qualitative and quantitative data to identify operational challenges, trends, and underlying issues and infer possible cause-effect relationships that have potential impact on benefits team processes, organization, and prioritization.
- Explore and support innovative approaches to process improvement that have the potential to extend the benefits team workload capacity.
- Assess and communicate team's national caseload capacity and support innovative approaches to increase efficiency and capacity to serve Warrior referrals and claims.
- Set and maintain the appropriate levels of standardization in policy, process, and procedure across all benefits team regions.
- Collaborate with other program directors to create shared understanding of team goals.
- Achieve a national network of service officers capable of providing high quality service to Warriors across the entire spectrum of the benefits claims process.
- Develop annual training plans that address the priority training requirements and hold leaders accountable to provide this training to service officers, coordinators, and specialists.
- Establish and maintain the conditions to support teammates in meeting the program key performance indicators in the Wounded Warrior Project strategic plan.
- Demonstrate effective resource management and oversight of the team's adherence to WWP policies and practices.
- Represent Wounded Warrior Project as the senior subject matter expert on all matters relating to benefits policy with the Veterans Benefits Administration and Department of Defense.
- Represent Wounded Warrior Project in matters relating to legislative changes having potential impact on Warriors' access to benefits.
- In collaboration with the Government and Community Relations (GCR) team, develop WWP's policy positions related to benefits and claims for warriors, family support members, and caregivers.
- Establish and maintain relationships with senior members of the VBA, VHA, DoD, other federal agencies, and National Service Officers of like-minded non-profits and for-profit organizations responsible for benefits and claims policies.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Comprehensive understanding of the Veterans Benefits Administration rules, policies, and practices and their impact on filing, updating, and, if necessary, appealing Warrior compensation claims.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills to analyze data and operational processes, and remaining open to innovative approaches to improve efficiency, production, and quality.
- Demonstrated understanding of relationship management and partnering. Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals, collaborate, and establish and build effective working relationships with individuals in leadership and key community roles.
- Strong presentation skills. Confident communicator, with demonstrated ability to present information effectively to large audiences, small groups, and individuals, and serve as lead representative of the organization across VA and DOD benefits related topics.
- Demonstrated leadership experience with the ability to motivate, coach, and educate staff members while fostering a strong team mentality.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Unwavering commitment to the highest standards of personal and business ethics and conduct.
- High energy level and demonstrated initiative.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
- Five years of experience directly administering Veterans Affairs programs and benefits, e.g. Disability Compensation (VA Claims), Home Loans, Survivor Benefits, Traumatic Injury Protection. etc.
- Five years of staff management experience.
- Three years of leadership role with veterans service organization, the Veterans Benefits Administration, or with other organizations that directly administers Veterans Affairs programs and benefits.
- Three years of experience working across Veterans Benefits Administration technology, e.g., Veterans Benefits Management Systems, Caseflow, Direct Upload.
- Three years of experience using Customer Relationship Management technology, e.g. Apptivo, HubSpot, Salesforce.
- Bachelor's degree. Equivalent combination of education, experience, training, and certification may be considered in lieu of degree
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURE
- Valid state-issued driver's license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- General office environment, temperature controlled.
- Up to 50% travel.
- Sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting/carrying items up to 20 pounds.
Wounded Warrior Project® is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, age, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Wounded Warrior Project is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms without a written search agreement in place. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Wounded Warrior Project via email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Wounded Warrior Project in any form without a valid written search agreement in place will be deemed the sole property of Wounded Warrior Project, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Wounded Warrior Project as a result of the referral or through other means."