Medical Assistant (MA) - Neurosurgery Clinic - #19503674
Ochsner Health System
We've made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942, but one thing has never changed - our commitment to serve, heal, lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned, every record broken and every patient helped is because of the dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come make a difference at Ochsner Health and discover your future today!
This job provides individualized, medical care of assigned patients in person, electronically and via telephone, as needed, under the supervision of a licensed health care provider. Assists in the delivery of health care services to patients of diverse backgrounds and age and must be able to maintain positive relationships with patients and their families. Must also work effectively with fellow employees to ensure the efficient flow of patients throughout their visit, providing support to them as well as to the attending Physician. Communicates via phone to ensure patient needs are met timely and accurately. Accesses company's data systems to document pertinent medical information.
Required - High School diploma or equivalent
Preferred - Completion of a formal training program, Medical Assistant program
Required - Experience working with and maintaining confidential information including experience working in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
Required - Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of patient information. Must be proficient with Windows-style applications and keyboard.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally to varying levels of individuals throughout the patient care process.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Supports the patient and provider throughout the patient visit
- Ensures the patient and provider are prepared for the visit
- Ensures the patient's questions are answered prior to leaving; prepares room for next appointment
- Provides excellent patient service through effective communication both over the phone and in person
- Completes appropriate documentation including patient registration if necessary
- Maintains required clinical knowledge, technical skills, training and credentials through personal professional development
- Handles other duties as assigned effectively and efficiently
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
Other related duties as required. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical essential functions of this job include (but are not limited to) the following: Frequently exerting 10 to 20 pounds of force to move objects; occasionally exerting up to 100 pounds of force. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for sedentary work. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mechanical lifting devices (carts, dollies, etc.) or team lifts should be utilized.
Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
The incumbent works in a patient care area; works in an area where patients enter; works directly with patients; and/or works with specimens that could contain diseases. There may be an occupational risk for exposure to all communicable diseases.
Because the incumbent works within a healthcare setting, there may be occupational risk for exposure to hazardous medications or hazardous waste within the environment through receipt, transport, storage, preparation, dispensing, administration, cleaning and/or disposal of contaminated waste. The risk level of exposure may increase depending on the essential job duties of the role.
Are you ready to make a difference? Apply Today!
Ochsner Health endeavors to make our site accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website, or if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact our HR Employee Solution Center at 504-842-4748 (select option 1) or email@example.com. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
EEO is the Law links in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic.
Affirmative Action Policy Statement