J0920-0737 - Senior Big Data Architect - #19503695
A little about us
At Shaw, we're proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We're making bold moves to connect Canadians and we're always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We'd love to meet you.
The successful candidate will work with the enterprise data teams within Shaw and will be accountable for the design, development and leadership of data processes and integration. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with strong analytics background and team player, comfortable working at a fast pace, and carries considerable experience with enterprise data implementations, data integration, data management, advanced analytic software applications, excellent knowledge of technical concepts, and knowledge of master data management, metadata management, and Service Oriented Architecture.
A typical day
- Works within a team of architects, engineers and analysts responsible for the overall Data Strategy and Roadmap.
- Will help lead, maintain and support data teams, processes and systems.
- Works closely with data stewards to develop data processes and integrate data systems.
- Ensures solutions are well engineered, operable, maintainable, and delivered on schedule.
- Participates in the development of data related Reference Architecture for the Data Domain.
- Contributes to the overall system implementation strategy for the enterprise and participates in appropriate forums, meetings, presentations etc. to meet goals.
- Participate in platform or vendor selection for all major software initiatives for products and services, ensuring any proposed solution is extensible, scalable, and manageable.
- Develops, documents, and ensures compliance with best practices including but not limited to the following coding standards, object oriented design, platform and framework specific design concerns and human interface guidelines.
- Tracks and documents requirements for enterprise development projects and enhancements.
- Monitors current and future trends, technology and information that will positively affect organizational projects; applies and integrates emerging technological trends to new and existing systems architecture.
- Participate on interdepartmental teams to support organizational goals and project delivery.
- Gathers and understands client needs, finding key areas where technology leverage is possible to improve business processes, defines architectural approaches and develops technology proofs. Communicates technology direction.
- Monitors the project lifecycle from intake through delivery. Ensures the entire solution design is complete and consistent from the start and seeks to remove as much re-work as possible.
- Ensures programs are envisioned, designed, developed, and implemented
across the enterprise to meet business needs.
- Infrequent travel to Calgary as required.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 6+ years of experience in database development and integration
- Strong expertise of SQL is required
- Strong Spark and Python experience is required
- Strong understanding of relational database management systems (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, RedShift) and NoSQL database systems (Dynamo, Mongo, etc)
- Understanding of core Computer Science concepts is expected
- Experience with Hadoop (Cloudera, EMR, MapR, Hortonworks) and/or other Big Data platforms is required
- Knowledge of common ETL data processing methodologies and tools
- Experience with AWS as it pertains to data is preferred
- Experience with Snowflake is a plus
- Familiarity with data warehousing is a plus
- Familiarity with scripting/programming languages including Shell, Scala and Java is highly desirable
- Working knowledge within a UNIX environment (including Linux) is highly desirable
- Experience in leading and supporting data teams and processes is highly desirable
- Awareness of various software development models, including waterfall, iterative, agile, SCRUM, and test-driven development
- Proficient with version control software and methodologies
- Ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Excellent oral, written, analytical, problem solving, and presentation skills
- Proven track record in implementing enterprise data management processes and tools and for managing metadata for advanced analytics systems
- Strong data management and analytic software experience
- Large scale data warehousing and data Integration experience is a plus
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent experience
- Exceptional collaboration, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Positive attitude with a desire to produce quality work
- Ability to effectively aggregate, organize, and present information culled from disparate sources
- Pragmatic ability to balance process compliance, quality, innovation, and expedience
- Proven accomplishments demonstrating strong ability to lead through influence
- Ability to be effective in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment
- Willingness and desire to expand responsibilities and knowledge beyond initially defined job responsibilities to support emerging needs within the organization
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check.
Posting closing date: January 4, 2021
Shaw Communications, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Shaw Communications. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.