Rolling Stone: Technical Director – Streaming - #19503823
She Knows Media
Rolling Stone | Technical Director – Streaming
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATE: We have transitioned to a remote work model and are continuing to hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We appreciate this is unprecedented times and will work closely with you, taking into account your individual circumstances.
Rolling Stone is looking for a full-time Technical Director to work closely with a newly developed team focusing solely on live streaming video and events. This person will spearhead the acquisition and maintenance of all tech and gear – including all camera/lighting/audio gear, PC tech and rigs, streaming based hardware/software. The role will also primarily focus on the day-to-day oversight and operation of all live streams (in studio, home, or remote), including the technical aspect of setting up and executing shoots, overseeing live streams, and recording/launching assets. The ideal candidate is extremely proactive, creatively driven, and collaborative – focusing on creating a unified vision for the team and platform. This position will report to the Executive Producer.
- Working with the team to build out the technical aspect of the department – including acquiring and building custom PC-based streaming rigs, cameras, lighting, and audio equipment.
- Leading the charge on remodeling/building studio space to required specifications, and emulating a simpler setup/alternative remotely.
- Running streams, including but not limited to:
- Lighting studio spaces / ensuring remote spaces are lit
- Setting up audio feeds for performing talent
- Setting up cameras and managing feeds and media
- Maintaining all gear and equipment, ensuring all programs and applications are functioning and consistently updated and operational
Managing conversion of live media to post-air media for additional platforms (YouTube, etc)
- Working with the Associate Producer & Talent Booker to ensure all remote talent have functioning streaming setups and settings for live performance, interviews, and more
- Ability to collaborate closely with the Executive Producer to help budget, plan and execute a shared vision.
- Multitask and shift gears quickly; helping to consistently manage 5 days (10 hours or more) worth of content per week both live and post-air.
- On top of NY-based studio and home streams, traveling to Rolling Stone live events/tentpoles to setup and operate remote streams.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience collaborating on projects through every phase of production, including budgeting, pre-production, production, post-production, and final delivery for internet distribution.
- A strong understanding of the technical aspects of video production – with proficiency and capability of lighting studio and remote space, running and operating audio and audio devices, shooting with cameras (at least DSLR quality), as well as proficiency with production and post-production software (Adobe Suite)
- A strong understanding of the technical aspects of live streaming – with proficiency and capability of setting up a live feed (via Twitch or other platforms), and working with talent both in-studio and remote.
- A strong understanding of the live stream workflow, working with capture cards, streaming decks, and most modern hardware and software associated.
- Experience producing editorial and/or commercial content, film/video shoots, and working with crews.
- Strong experience in the live streaming realm – ideally at least 1-2 years live streaming on personal or professional channels (or working with live streamers)
- Experience and proven track record of success and results as an engineer and operator.
- The ability to travel frequently for extended periods of time.
- Full résumé or credits, cover letter (or video cover letter) required.
- Please send all links to existing reels
About Rolling Stone:
Rolling Stone, the number one brand in music publishing, has been the leading voice of music and popular culture for 50 years. The multi-media brand features the latest in music reviews, in-depth interviews, hard-hitting political commentary and award-winning journalism across many platforms including magazine, digital, mobile, social and event marketing. Rolling Stone provides "all the news that fits" to a global audience of approximately 60 million people every month and publishes over 100 pieces of content every day. Rolling Stone's parent company, Penske Media Corporation (PMC), is a leading digital media company, publishing, and Information Services Company founded in 2003.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC's journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good. To learn more about PMC, our 2% Foundation, and our portfolio of brands, please visit www.PMC.com.